How can I fix this crack on Reefer 250?

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2016
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
579
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately this happened on my brand new tank. Looks to have happened during transport.
Does anyone have any advice on how to repair it?
or is not worth the risk?

49754BFF-44C4-4413-9F48-3223FEB3F5B1.jpeg 5432A054-3106-4E2B-A5E7-27AA313F8815.jpeg
 
Yeah I agree those tanks are too expensive to deal with imperfections.
 
It wasn’t technically purchased brand new. Was set up but never filled.
 
BUMP Hmm in that case maybe some silicon, I’m not sure maybe someone else knows?
 
A lot of people are saying it’ll be fine and others wouldn’t risk it. I’m leaning towards filling it but would like to seal it before doing so. Does anyone have any advice on what product to use?
 
How good is your insurance? The tank will probably fill just fine but it could let go randomly at some point putting 250liters of water on your floor. I’d only do that if you were a renter that was so poor that you couldn’t be sued or the tank is located in a garage where you can spill that much water and be ok. Also the glue will not help at all purely cosmetic
 
I would need to look at the crack closer, does it have runners from the chip? On my tiny phone it looked like it does. If so, it will give in no time. That also appears to be the bottom of the tank, that is a hefty amount of weight on already formed runners to even consider filling with a reef ($$) let alone freshies.
I have had a tank fail 30 year ago from a tiny chip from a kids hot wheel on the bottom edge of my 20g freshwater.
Yes thinner glass, but runners run. Looks at first like a string, then like a shop vac on the floor for a few hours.
Luckily mine was in the basement then.
 
A lot of people are saying it’ll be fine and others wouldn’t risk it. I’m leaning towards filling it but would like to seal it before doing so. Does anyone have any advice on what product to use?

Prayer and a miracle from the creator are the only means of repairing cracked glass to prevent an expansion of the break.

Removal and replacement of the broken piece are the best way to move forward if you’re trying to keep that tank filled in the long run
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new