How can I raise my alkalinity without raising my calcium?

34gallonSolana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been running a 110 gallon for a year and 2 months now. An upgrade from a 34 gallon which a ran for over 5 years. I did get a little lazy with the maintenance after I had lost almost all but 2 fishes and all but 2 corals. I'm trying to get things going again and stay on top of it. so I have been doing 26to28 gallons of water change per week for the last 4-5 weeks to try and get phosphates to a good level. Which as of yesterday were at 0.04 compared to the day before the water change 0.06.
Calcium is now 403 which is good the day before WC it was 454.
Alkalinity is in the low 5s I can't remember if it was 5.3 or 5.6 yesterday, but the day before WC it was 5.3 so definitely need to bring it up. I'm thinking be between 8-12.

I am not dosing anything and I was not doing any testing prior.

My hammerhead & toadstool leather corals do not look happy, see attached picture, don't know if they got use to a dirty tank, lol.

So I've used all for reef in the previous tank (34g) and was thinking of using that in this one.
If I do, will it also increase the calcium?

I use Tropic Marin Pro-reef salt at 1.025.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

20231203_135511.jpg 20231203_135504.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda can be used to raise alk only. But I'd raise calcium too.

The AFR can be used in your situation. Both valuss will be fine after you use it to boost alk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

34gallonSolana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda can be used to raise alk only. But I'd raise calcium too.

The AFR can be used in your situation. Both valuss will be fine after you use it to boost alk.
Okay Thanks,

You think I should be fine to go back on doing regular water changes moving forward then instead of the 26-28 gallons

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Thanks,

You think I should be fine to go back on doing regular water changes moving forward then instead of the 26-28 gallons

Yes, Water changes aren't a good way to reduce phosphate anyway, unlike nitrate, since even a 100% change leaves a lot of phosphate stuck to rock and sand that will come off into the new water.

Upvote 0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the soft corals likethe water a bit more dirty, and cleaner water will transmit light better so mIgnt tone down the lights and ramp them back up over a few days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

34gallonSolana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the soft corals likethe water a bit more dirty, and cleaner water will transmit light better so mIgnt tone down the lights and ramp them back up over a few days.
Thanks, T5 lights can't really ramp down. I did have them running for less time for a few weeks but just recently returned them to normal time, but that didn't make a difference to the corals. I just got a new softy Devils Hand coral, Just going to watch them and see what happens. Not going to be doing any more large WCs.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back