How can I stop splashing

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I stop the water that comes out of my protien skimmer from splashing any info is great thanks here's a picture of what I'm talkin about
20170328_173708.jpg

OP
OP
Juliano

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would change how my protien skimmer works I'm gonna try now

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave a small amount above the water line so it can breath. Under the water line can keep air from escaping, could cause the skimmer to act up. JMTCW

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave a small amount above the water line so it can breath. Under the water line can keep air from escaping, could cause the skimmer to act up. JMTCW
Good point! I did a mod to my old asm skimmer similar to this, and it's outlet was 1/2" or so above the water at all times.

You can also have it discharge onto a filter sponge or something similar to help reduce noise and salt creep.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the time folks use a Tee vs an Elbow due to the air-gap issue. That's what I'd do, if possible.

A tee should keep it exposed to the air over a wide range of water depths AND still provide the splash reduction needed.

OP
OP
Juliano

Juliano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool I put the elbow if I was to use a t would it b one side exposed to air the other in water?

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the time folks use a Tee vs an Elbow due to the air-gap issue. That's what I'd do, if possible.

A tee should keep it exposed to the air over a wide range of water depths AND still provide the splash reduction needed.
Similar to a durso standpipe, but without a cap on top of the T.
durso2.jpg

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be fancy, I have a hard time being fancy. Lol. good idea.
I'm not very good at fancy either, thank goodness for the internet!

This is similar to the mod I did to my asm. The op already has the gate valve stock, so the T would go after the valve and into an elbow. Instead of the T being on end like it is here, it would be flat with the open intersection pointing up.
g1_g3zoom.jpeg

Steve McGlamery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I stop the water that comes out of my protien skimmer from splashing any info is great thanks here's a picture of what I'm talkin about
20170328_173708.jpg
Look on Reef Octopus web site. I had the same problem and did what other people here said to do and had nothing but trouble. Reef Octopus makes a silencer but it is not hard to build your self and a lot cheaper. You will need the British to American adapter that came with your skimmer. Make a straight line starting with an end cap, a 4" piece of PVC pipe, A tee then another piece of PVC pipe. You don't have to glue them. Then put the adapter to the tee. This will give room for the air to expand. If you just use an elbow your skimmer will over flow.
20170328_173708.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back