How can I stop this happening??

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B9BD70B-E4A7-42EA-B4D4-DEC9C944CCB3.png
My PH has been dropping to about 7.99 at 8am in the morning. I dose at about 9pm at night just before lights out. Usually my PH stays just above 8 until the lights go on at 9am but recently been going below 8.

How can I stop this happening and is it something I should be worrying about?
Thanks
Emma

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume your dosing manually. Split your dosing up as the .5 dkh swing is not good. Even if you just do half in the am and half in the pm that spike is not good. It’s best to do it over 24 hours to try to keep it stable tho. 7.9 ph is fine.

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume your dosing manually. Split your dosing up as the .5 dkh swing is not good. Even if you just do half in the am and half in the pm that spike is not good. It’s best to do it over 24 hours to try to keep it stable tho. 7.9 ph is fine.
I dose 1.5 ml at night, it brings the KH up by about 0.2.
Should I still split into 2 doses: morning and night?

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Emma
The cyclical trend is nothing to worry about, that 8.6 jump looks a little strange but it may be a blip. The natural trend for the pH in the tank is to go down at night and increase during the day. It has to do with the respiration cycle of the algae and its consumption of oxygen and CO2 throughout the day.

Your pH trends looks similar to mine. The little 0.2 bumps in pH at the 12am and 6am are from alk doses. It even shows the low pH at the beginning from the family being in the house more around the July 4th holiday. There was an elevated level of CO2 in the house in around that time. The blue is the light cycle in my tank. You can see the pH responding as the lights go up and down causing the algae to photosynthesis which effects pH.
ph.JPG

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyclical trend is nothing to worry about, that 8.6 jump looks a little strange but it may be a blip. The natural trend for the pH in the tank is to go down at night and increase during the day. It has to do with the respiration cycle of the algae and its consumption of oxygen and CO2 throughout the day.

Your pH trends looks similar to mine. The little 0.2 bumps in pH at the 12am and 6am are from alk doses. It even shows the low pH at the beginning from the family being in the house more around the July 4th holiday. There was an elevated level of CO2 in the house in around that time. The blue is the light cycle in my tank. You can see the pH responding as the lights go up and down causing the algae to photosynthesis which effects pH.
ph.JPG

Great advice, thanks
I’ve been dosing last thing at night, because I thought that it would keep
On top of the drop in PH overnight. Should I split the doses into morning and evening?

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 1.5 mls per dose you probably don't have to split them unless you have a small tank. If it is a nano, it may be good to split the dose but you may not see a change in pH trends.

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 1.5 mls per dose you probably don't have to split them unless you have a small tank. If it is a nano, it may be good to split the dose but you may not see a change in pH trends.
It’s an 8 gallon nano. I guess I’ll juat continue as I have been doing and keep observing.
Thanks

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you having your pH get so high? I’ve never personally seen success with that high of pH. Most shoot between 8-8.3

That being said, you want stability. Swings stress out corals. I would cut your dosing into smaller amounts over the course of the day. Are you manually dosing or using a dosing pump?

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you having your pH get so high? I’ve never personally seen success with that high of pH. Most shoot between 8-8.3

That being said, you want stability. Swings stress out corals. I would cut your dosing into smaller amounts over the course of the day. Are you manually dosing or using a dosing pump?
I’m manually dosing, but looking into a automatic doser at the moment. Undecided which though.

It peaks I guess when I dose?
I see an automatic spike up to 8.6

I’ll split the doses into 2 in the day?
I dose 1.5ml to keep my KH around about 7.4
1.5ml per day is my maintenance dose.

Thanks
Emma

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B9BD70B-E4A7-42EA-B4D4-DEC9C944CCB3.png
My PH has been dropping to about 7.99 at 8am in the morning. I dose at about 9pm at night just before lights out. Usually my PH stays just above 8 until the lights go on at 9am but recently been going below 8.

Thanks
Emma

It’s normal & nothing to worry about. For certain, it’s not an EMERGENCY. Healthy reefs of the ocean fluctuate as much as .5 pH units.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back