How can I stop this noise?

angsess

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2026
Messages
60
Reaction score
34
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2

What am I doing wrong here? Noise is 100% from the fleece roller chamber.
 
Can you raise the water level in that chamber?
Don't know what the gph flow through the sump is, but maybe slow it down?
 
Can you raise the water level in that chamber?
Don't know what the gph flow through the sump is, but maybe slow it down?
I don’t really have a way to measure gph. It’s 70 gallons total water volume and I have a Jebao mdp 3500 set at 65%.
 
I addition to the water level being low it looks like water is bypassing the roller and making noise as it run down.
So is water coming into the sump too fast? Should I close the drain some?
 
Not sure where the level sensor is on the roller is but the water level in the roller should raise as the floss gets dirty. Can you see why so much water is bypassing the roller. From watching the video it looks like the water is bypassing the roller causing the noise. Maybe try reducing the return pump flow and see if it helps. I could be pumping more than the roller can handle and causing the overflow.
 
Not sure where the level sensor is on the roller is but the water level in the roller should raise as the floss gets dirty. Can you see why so much water is bypassing the roller. From watching the video it looks like the water is bypassing the roller causing the noise. Maybe try reducing the return pump flow and see if it helps. I could be pumping more than the roller can handle and causing the overflow.
Don't restrict the drain to slow flow in the sump. That can lead to an overflow of the display tank. You can reduce the flow from your return though.
 
Don't restrict the drain to slow flow in the sump. That can lead to an overflow of the display tank. You can reduce the flow from your return though.
I thought that's what I said? At least that's what I meant 🙃

Maybe try reducing the return pump flow
 
I thought that's what I said? At least that's what I meant 🙃

Maybe try reducing the return pump flow
the op said something about closing the drain more.
 
the op said something about closing the drain more.
Gotcha I thought I was being misquoted.
I do use the valve in my drain pipe for making adjustments but I use it to adjust the level in the overflow so it's quiet not to change the level in the sump.
 
Last edited:
I think I have it. I raised the sump baffles to raise the water level and it’s near silent.i reseated the roller and the leaking water stopped.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new