How can my alk be this high?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've set up a tank, which at the moment only has a couple of clowns and cheato luckily.
It's a barebottom with Aquaforest rock. Since it's a new tank with no corals, I've not checked Alk often, only NO3 and PO4.

I use RO/DI, which I check regularly, and my instant ocean mixes to 11 dKH, but, I have no idea why, this tank has 14 to 15 dKH.
I've checked the salinity with a refractometer and the Dupla precision hydrometer. It's 35 ppt.

I've double checked my hanna checker against a standard solution. The hanna checker only measures 5% higher than the standard solution (which is admittedly a bit old, even if well preserved).

Where am I getting this crazy Alk from and is there a calculator somewhere to lower it?

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue in my tank from using dry rock and the alk was always crazy high at 14 and I had to do a lot of water changes with low DKh salt

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue in my tank from using dry rock and the alk was always crazy high at 14 and I had to do a lot of water changes with low DKh salt
The thing is when I tasted Alk a couple of months ago it was 11 dkh.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, but this process only restores Alk to some previous level, it doesn’t boost Alk per se. You can’t get Alk higher than your salt mix by nitrate consumption. So it doesn’t explain my situation.

At least that’s my understanding from reading about this.

very useful to keep in mind tho, thanks a lot for the info!

APlusAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, but this process only restores Alk to some previous level, it doesn’t boost Alk per se. You can’t get Alk higher than your salt mix by nitrate consumption. So it doesn’t explain my situation.

No problem, It's one of the things I had issues with at one point a couple years ago. I was stumped just like you are haha!

Were you dosing alk at any point before seeing the increase?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you do anything to maintain alk in the past?

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately get a second (different) test kit like salifert or even api. Just an fyi... my reagent was almost expired and I was getting low readings. I kept dosing to raise.. long story short, it was the reagent. Not saying this is your issue but I would definitely eliminate it as a possibility first. Your io batch might have a high alk.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these readings and I also use instant ocean I was sat at 15 that high it was melting zoas. Water through my rodi then test after mixed if still high I use a small amount of acid buffer to reduce to what level I want . This is a ongoing issue at the moment but once my instant ocean is finished iam changing to another salt with the closest to the levels I need . I could be wrong but io kh when mixed is 11?. Good advice from all above and Randy knowledge when I read his info it doesn’t go in I have to read it 2or 3 times lol . But his various recipes are spot on and work good.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back