How can this baffle be fixed

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is incorrect. Poorly siliconed seams fail.
Sure, under hundreds of pounds of pressure trying to keep water inside a tank, not when under slight pressure separating 2 compartments with similar water level on both sides. The silicone clearly came off the baffle, there is not even a hint of residual silicone left on the baffle, but yeah, believe what you will :rolleyes:.

Also the OP already said the baffle is acrylic, why argue about it.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern if the baffles are silicone is the extra force being put onto the baffle used as the brace. Seems like that will also lead to another failure. The right thing to do would be to remove the sump and redot it with glass baffles.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, under hundreds of pounds of pressure trying to keep water inside a tank, not when under slight pressure separating 2 compartments with similar water level on both sides. The silicone clearly came off the baffle, there is not even a hint of residual silicone left on the baffle, but yeah, believe what you will :rolleyes:.

Last I checked I asked the OP for confirmation and never directed the question at you. Never hurts to double check.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that isn't a glass baffle with black film on it? If that is acrylic, it matches the rest of the sump and I'd be worried about the entire thing falling apart. That said, I think the baffle is glass with a layer of black on it
No, I’m not 100% sure. I will check again tomorrow but it’s hard to see.

Why not just space it from the top? Use a small piece on each side or one in the middle?
Excellent idea, I just hadn’t thought of it.

I will check again tomorrow and report back. It might be glass. But if it is, do I have to worry about the whole thing falling apart ?

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check again tomorrow and report back. It might be glass. But if it is, do I have to worry about the whole thing falling apart ?
There is a potential the baffle on the left would suffer the same fate if it is acrylic and the silicone bond weakens. If that happens, just wedge something between the 2 baffles again holding them in place, something like this
1712285704502.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Troylee beat me to it! I vote spacer!

Edit could make an L shaped piece of acrylic out of a sheet, turn it flat so it fits between the baffles then turn it to sit flush with the exterior of the tank:

1712283942640.jpeg

One on each side.

Or cut a piece of tubing/pvc and stick it between the baffles (either a short piece in the middle or long pieces on the bottom to reach the very back (would need to be PVC or other rigid tubing for the later)):

1712284198789.jpeg
1712286477602.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And Weldon doesn’t work on glass…silicone is his only option.
My understanding acrylic but now see its glass and silicone- yes

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked again and the baffle is acrylic, probably 3-D printed to add a weir. I’m 99% certain.

So I put two pieces of hard tubing as spacers, one on each end. The only thing that worries me now is the pressure it puts against the glass. I hope the silicone holds or I will have two problems on my hands.

1712324454545.jpeg

1712324488732.jpeg

Exactly why I added glass supports behind my acrylic baffles in my sump build. Glass to glass with silicone is ridiculously strong
This would be the ideal fix. I am waiting to see what the builders say.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked again and the baffle is acrylic, probably 3-D printed to add a weir. I’m 99% certain.

So I put two pieces of hard tubing as spacers, one on each end. The only thing that worries me now is the pressure it puts against the glass. I hope the silicone holds or I will have two problems on my hands.

1712324454545.jpeg

1712324488732.jpeg

Glad you got a decent temp fix on there. The suggestion to add the glass inserts is probably the easiest long term solution

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your temporary fix will not hurt the glass, no worries there.

It's troubling to see this, as bonding acrylic to glass has such a spotty track record I can't think of any larger manufacturer (other than... Red Sea) that does it in order to prevent issues like this. At least without some braces against glass so the load isn't all on the silicone joint.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1712324454545.jpeg

1712324488732.jpeg

It’s completely fine.. that other baffle is glass and plenty strong to hold the force of the acrylic one.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got a decent temp fix on there. The suggestion to add the glass inserts is probably the easiest long term solution
It might turn out to ba a permanent fix. I would be okay with that as long as everything holds solid.

I can't think of any larger manufacturer (other than... Red Sea) that does it in order to prevent issues like this. At least without some braces against glass so the load isn't all on the silicone joint.
It’s a small local shop. I hope they learn from their mistake.

It’s completely fine.. that other baffle is glass and plenty strong to hold the force of the acrylic one.
Thank you, that’s a relief. Now I’m not even worried about it anymore, even if it turns out to be my permanent solution. I mean, it doesn’t look bad.

It’s just disappointing to pay good money for something that breaks 2-3 months later.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve talked to the builders and they are going to come and fix this. I suggested to silicone glass bands in between the acrylic pieces to hold it in place and they thought it was a good idea.

Thanks everyone, I wouldn’t have known how to tackle this !

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve talked to the builders and they are going to come and fix this. I suggested to silicone glass bands in between the acrylic pieces to hold it in place and they thought it was a good idea.

Thanks everyone, I wouldn’t have known how to tackle this !
Thats good news they are willing to come fix their mistakes. Hope they can come fix the sump in place. Your tank probably will need to be sumpless for at least a day or 2 for the silicone to setup.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back