How caustic is sodium silicate

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start dosing loudwolf sodium silicate (maybe a couple drops a week or so?). However, I am concerned about warnings of how caustic it can be to skin and metal. Is this a concern towards anything in the tank (livestock, pumps, etc.)? How nasty is the substance on skin? Also, if there are better options than loudwolf let me know.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start dosing loudwolf sodium silicate (maybe a couple drops a week or so?). However, I am concerned about warnings of how caustic it can be to skin and metal. Is this a concern towards anything in the tank (livestock, pumps, etc.)? How nasty is the substance on skin? Also, if there are better options than loudwolf let me know.
I’ve mixed with RODI to thin it down and put it in an old vape juice dispenser bottle. Few drops by the overflow to sump and it lasts ages with no real risk of getting it on your skin, once you’ve sorted it initially.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve mixed with RODI to thin it down and put it in an old vape juice dispenser bottle. Few drops by the overflow to sump and it lasts ages with no real risk of getting it on your skin, once you’ve sorted it initially.

I was thinking of using it in a glass bottle with a dropper (an old brightwell amino glass dropper). However, since I am away from the tank for months at a time, I am cautious to have someone handle something that could cause harm. How much did you dilute it by?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using it in a glass bottle with a dropper (an old brightwell amino glass dropper). However, since I am away from the tank for months at a time, I am cautious to have someone handle something that could cause harm. How much did you dilute it by?
I used 50:50, but I suppose you could dilute it a lot more if you wanted.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pH is around 12. I'd treat it similar to kalkwasser.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix it into the alkalinity reservoir, might be an option if you are gone for months

I just have a gallon jug of all for reef and a 60ml cup to dose. No fancy reservoir or dosers here :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back