How close is my Peppermint Shrimp to having its babies?

Brea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been over 7 days since I noticed she had eggs and they were already developed at that point. I have set up a breeding tank and have been hatching brine shrimp. I want to be prepared when they come to start their many feedings. I am hoping someone else has experience with this!

PXL_20240219_001401810.jpg PXL_20240219_001725649.jpg PXL_20240219_001514603.jpg

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang she is ready to pop any day now. But keep in mind, keeping baby Lysmatta sp. shrimp is not the same as keeping brine shrimp. It’s a lot harder and takes different equipment. I’ve hatched cleaner shrimp babies and not a single one made it. Between corals, fish, and inverts, survival rate isn’t high. Living isn’t for the weak

OP
OP
Brea

Brea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang she is ready to pop any day now. But keep in mind, keeping baby Lysmatta sp. shrimp is not the same as keeping brine shrimp. It’s a lot harder and takes different equipment. I’ve hatched cleaner shrimp babies and not a single one made it. Between corals, fish, and inverts, survival rate isn’t high. Living isn’t for the weak
Yes I am very much aware of how difficult it can be. I have done as much research as I can over the past week. I have set up a dedicated tank just for the larvae. I have 3 different foods on hand for the babies and as a stay at home wife I will be around 24/7 to feed and monitor them. I am not sure if you tried raising yours in your main display tank but I am definitely not attempting that as such small baby larvae are easily eaten up by predators.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The below may help for anyone trying to figure out the rearing process for shrimp:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back