How concerned should I be with this crack?

Keybilly

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
100
Reaction score
110
Location
Summerland Key, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a 95 gallon cube at a great price but upon working on taking out the old silicone to replace it with new silicone and scraping off the black back that the previous owner had painted I discovered this crack at the bottom of the overflow corner. How concerned should I be that this could get worse and what would you suggest fixing it with if it’s fixable? Thanks so much for your help!


74992139-A4E7-4F5E-BFFD-BE45E57CB28B.jpeg
FC1BD8A8-6541-4FFA-95EC-5CA5EAE6DB16.jpeg 3F4E8048-1FAD-49F8-ADB0-639863A95D32.jpeg
 
Are you resealing it? Have you thought about turning the panel upside down towards the top end? Glass panel should be even thick or matching. If not, I wouldn't trust it.
 
Upvote 0
I just bought it unfortunately, I’m not sure if my husband and I damaged it bringing it home or if we just didn’t notice the crack. That’s a good idea for turning those those panels around since I’m working on cutting most the bad silicone out anyways
 
Upvote 0
Are you resealing it? Have you thought about turning the panel upside down towards the top end? Glass panel should be even thick or matching. If not, I wouldn't trust it.
I am planning on resealing it yes! I knew it was a project tank going in but didn’t know about the crack. I got like $2,500 worth of stuff for $500… the sump alone went for $500 new so it was a nobrainer but still the crack is a bit disappointing. I love the idea of flipping the corner cracked piece of glass
 
Upvote 0
Not great but it looks like a clean scallop on the overflow side so I’d be less concerned than if it were anywhere. That said, bit of a tough sell.
 
Upvote 0

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new