How consistent is your alk? Especially you trident users.

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how stable everyone's alk is, especially those using the trident auto dosing or not.
Please post screen shots of your graphs and any tips you may have.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with that: For those with a Trident that now have more stable ALK, have you seen improvements in your reef?

The answer is probably subjective, but important to weigh against cost/benefit.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great improvement....when my DDR lines don’t get air bubbles. When the correct amount of 2 part makes it in the tank, I can’t remember when I saw a swing of 0.1 over a 1-2 period.

Payedjay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a lot of improvement corals are more happier and the its very accurate when compared to Hanna checkers

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running trident not more then .2 swing ever. I’m still debating with myself if it makes great enough improvement to be worth the money. Definitly worth it for the time save And having to remember over manually doseing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to post a new thread that summarizes a question that came up in the KH director forum since it bears on what alkalinity stability really means (and perhaps whether people are being mypoic on it vs pH).

I'll post the link here when it is up.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jordan T Shouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see at max a .3 swing. Working to dose a little more at night to level that swing out.

ALK.JPG

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot (15).png

I have had it almost flat line, but recently went thru an issue with my tank, so the consumption is just starting again.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read an interesting article on alk stability a few years ago that actually tested it in different tanks and the conclusion was as long as it's corrected in a 24hour period to the same level there's no issue. This would reflect day night cycles on a natural reef. Longer than that causes problems, and low pH can aggravate the sensitivity to alk swings. This explains why some reactor driven tanks have scary low pH, but due to rock solid alk levels corals grow great.. No new news there - stability is more important than pH levels. Trying to find that link.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While how stable the alk is is an important consideration for users and potential users of this device, the more interesting thing (IMO) and the much harder thing to quantify is how the tank is different with more stable alk vs less stable alk, and even whether alk is the actual thing that is most usefully stabilized vs bicarbonate.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a trident but sold it when it arrived (for what I bought it for). Didn't want to mess with it. I just use my DOS to dose 2 part. Alkalinity ranges from 8.2 to 8.6 and my ph has a 0.3 swing. I check with hanna checker (10 seconds at most) and adjust DOS by 1ml increments if needed every few days. Very easy and no messing with trying to find reagents or callibrating a trident or the 600 cost of getting one or having to take it apart for maintenance every year. I am glad everyone is enjoying their Tridents, I am still holding out for a relabeled mindstream by ecotech. LOL

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While how stable the alk is is an important consideration for users and potential users of this device, the more interesting thing (IMO) and the much harder thing to quantify is how the tank is different with more stable alk vs less stable alk, and even whether alk is the actual thing that is most usefully stabilized vs bicarbonate.
Randy, when you say "...whether alk is the actual thing that is most usefully stabilized vs bicarbonate" I'm assuming you are referring to stabilizing pH (rather than alk) to stabilize the bicarbonate:carbonate ratio? If so, I've been wondering what you and others think of that idea of stabilizing pH. I've been working on a crude "experiment" where I have attempted to maintain a constant pH (of 8.3) using a GHL Controller and motorized ball valves to regulate airflow with different CO2 levels going to the skimmer. My plan was to start a thread on this but I have been reluctant because it turned out to be a long "read" and with less than ideal results due to some problems I ran into. But still, I am very curious about the pros and cons of maintaining a constant pH if that could be achieved.
(Sorry if I briefly got off track from original post).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, when you say "...whether alk is the actual thing that is most usefully stabilized vs bicarbonate" I'm assuming you are referring to stabilizing pH (rather than alk) to stabilize the bicarbonate:carbonate ratio? If so, I've been wondering what you and others think of that idea of stabilizing pH. I've been working on a crude "experiment" where I have attempted to maintain a constant pH (of 8.3) using a GHL Controller and motorized ball valves to regulate airflow with different CO2 levels going to the skimmer. My plan was to start a thread on this but I have been reluctant because it turned out to be a long "read" and with less than ideal results due to some problems I ran into. But still, I am very curious about the pros and cons of maintaining a constant pH if that could be achieved.
(Sorry if I briefly got off track from original post).

Not just the ratio, but stabilizing bicarbonate. We discuss it here:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back