Neptune Trident Experience

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating picking up a used neptune trident for consistent testing, but not automated dosing. I have read a large number of mixed reviews on brs and other site. For those with it, how do you like your trident? Any issues or nuances that if addresses make it much better? Is this something worth buying new instead of used?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been debating picking up a used neptune trident for consistent testing, but not automated dosing. I have read a large number of mixed reviews on brs and other site. For those with it, how do you like your trident? Any issues or nuances that if addresses make it much better? Is this something worth buying new instead of used?
I bought mine used and I’m thrilled I have it. I’ll be honest and say that now that my tank is stable and I understand consumption in my tank it doesn’t feel like I need it anymore. But I’m sure that if I didn’t have it that I’d be wondering how the tank was doing all the time.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following...

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine used and I’m thrilled I have it. I’ll be honest and say that now that my tank is stable and I understand consumption in my tank it doesn’t feel like I need it anymore. But I’m sure that if I didn’t have it that I’d be wondering how the tank was doing all the time.
It really seems like a decent gadget to have, even if only to have steady testing to catch if something goes way out of wack.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had one pretty much since the beginning (won at MACNA 2016) and the biggest problem I have had over the years is clogging. The sample line mainly but also the hub that distributes the water and reagents inside the Trident. Sometimes they can be an easy-ish flush but sometimes you will be cussing. Fortunately it only does it once to twice a year and I am more confident in breaking the Trident down and cleaning everything out.

When it is working I have found it to generally be very accurate.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my new almost 2 years ago and love it. Really helps me out, I only use the Neptune reagents as well as the Neptune calibration solutions. The way I perceive it is that’s what Neptune designed it for so I will stick to it. Been really easy to keep things stable and pretty on par compared to Hannah and my salifert tests

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had one pretty much since the beginning (won at MACNA 2016) and the biggest problem I have had over the years is clogging. The sample line mainly but also the hub that distributes the water and reagents inside the Trident. Sometimes they can be an easy-ish flush but sometimes you will be cussing. Fortunately it only does it once to twice a year and I am more confident in breaking the Trident down and cleaning everything out.

When it is working I have found it to generally be very accurate.
How long does it normally take you to unclog the tubing? Does the clogging seem like something that monthly or bimonthly maintenance would fix or completely random?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is about every 5-6 months for me that it clogs, the first time I did a full tear apart to flush it probably took about 2 hours as I was still getting used to everything, but now probably under 30 to take the whole thing apart, flush, and put it back together.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using mine for a while (over a year) and I have had zero problems with it.

I think that most people having problems do not set it up carefully enough. First of all, most people don't use the small filter on the feed line from the aquarium. Secondly, a lot of people cut the tubes. Both of which will lead to problems.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine new and can say that without it my tank wouldn't be where it is right now. Being able to look at my levels when ever I want and make adjustments has been crucial to my tanks success. I went all out with the Apex, Trident and Dos.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use any 3d printed addons to help keep it working well? Like reagent guides or even the smaller container from printed reef?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for about 3 years and overall I like having it. Mine has fried a board when it overfilled the cuvette and got saltwater on the board with the sensor, and even with having to pay an extra $200 to get it replaced I still like it. The only problems I have with mine is like already mentioned it tends to clog occasionally. It is also really easy to pinch the lines when putting the tray back in. I now have a habit of not sliding the tray all the way back in.

I use 3d printed needle guides, but I’m honestly not sure how much, if any, of a difference they make.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use any 3d printed addons to help keep it working well? Like reagent guides or even the smaller container from printed reef?
I got the ‘mini trident’ 3d printed and converted it to that. Love the look of it compared to the original. There is a thread on here about it and if you have your own 3d printer you can print it yourself. Very easy to change over, there is a video on YouTube of how to do it

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mine works well. Is it accurate? Kind of. Sometimes you’ll get a weird test result like a big jump in alk. You just run another test and it comes out normal again.

Overall it’s a good baseline. I use ABC reagents as they are much cheaper and actually much more consistent test wise. Use the tank water calibration method aka get an average of all 3 of your parameters with manual tests like Hanna and then calibrate using those figures.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 3 years and love it. I have the DOS but do not auto correct dosages based on test results. I do that manually in the app. The few times that the tube did clog was mainly due to something pinching the line or if it doesn't test for more than 24 hours the water dries up and leaves salt in the tube in which case i have to flush it out. Like previously mentioned the cuvette did overfill one time frying the board and had to send it out to get replaced, I think it was under $150 if i remember correctly.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information and insight. Based off this thread, I think I will keep an eye out for a used trident.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Part one answer. Reviews are just that, reviews. How many are installed vs how many people take time out of their day to post positives vs those who take time out to post when frustrated. There is value to some degree but the onus is on the hobbyist to weed out the noise. It can be difficult at times.

The Trident is like similar devices in that hobbyist A can have great results and hobbyist C has an opposite one. Why is that we rarely find out. Experience, installation, environment, product, all factor in and sometimes we get root cause most times we don't when things are reported bad. Forum fighting and disagreements ensue when hobbyist C posts their experience and hobbyist A comes in to give theirs. Chaos...

I've owned one for a good while and have performed both self service and deposit cross ship. Self service was easy and most can do it if they have basic mechanical skills and time. The deposit cross ship works great if you don't and want a new machine. It includes one way shipping I think along with a box of reagents. The third option is cross ship and you get a used, refurbished unit back. I've not done this one but know a few who have and it is fine. They are refurbished.

One key take away regardless of automated solution chosen. Don't chase results or numbers across tools, platforms, or ICP. They are different, have margin of error differences, and who is to say they are correct. Trident is mother for me, source of record. I look at the data but mostly look for trends. I know what my salt mixes to as it relates to chemistry, I aim for Alk between 8 and 8.5, and I go from there. Similar for Ca and Mg. Works well for me.

Worth buying, new, used, that is up to you and your reefing budget. I purchased new and that is how I would go again. Worth it - that is up to the hobbyist. I find it useful and use the data for trending. I've also used it for assisted dosing when I was using ESV 2 part. It worked very well and has a fail safe feature that works. Honesty in reefing - it is not needed and we had successful tanks before any automated testing. It is a quality of life improvement by taking away certain tasks.

Part two answer. I'm not sure what you mean by 3d printed addons but one I know of are the reagent bottle guides. No, they are not needed and a waste of money. They originally got created when the Trident first came out as it was thought to help with Ca numbers drifting when the reagent was 50% full. It really does nothing.

3d pretty Trident shell I've not used but seen them. It isn't a display piece for me so not something I'd personally buy. I understand to some that equipment is also part of the art form or display setup so can respect that. I have no personal experience with it.

TL; DR - It has been out for a good while now and works for most of us. I don't have numbers either way so only share my experience. I'm happy but also know I've been a Neptune customer since 2001.

All the best.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned 3 and 2 of three have had to be sent in, that manifold was the culprit: no water sample, test b fail, et et
….Id say it’s worth it if you got the investment in livestock, for a 50g or under; maybe not

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine right when they first came out. No issues until about 6 years in when I took advantage of the maintenance trade in and got a clean unit for $200. Flawless now for 2 years. I have never been all that fussed over regent costs. I test at the minimum which means the $110 supply lasts 6 months ….. around $20/month.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using mine for a while (over a year) and I have had zero problems with it.

I think that most people having problems do not set it up carefully enough. First of all, most people don't use the small filter on the feed line from the aquarium. Secondly, a lot of people cut the tubes. Both of which will lead to problems.
Where can I find a feed line filter for the Neptune. I saw they were in the newer Tridents but nobody sells the filter aftermarket.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back