How did everyone get into the hobby?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DD Corals
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I helped my mom with her freshwater tank for a couple of months when I had to move back home short term (life). And now 6 months later I have a 25 gallon and a 13.5 gallon that are both doing well. I would love something bigger but I can’t due to space issues.

I definitely overstocked and went a little too fast at first but all is well now after consuming a ton of content on reef tanks.
 
I got into reefing from a LFS closing. My reef tank just turned 1 year old. I've always kept freshwater tanks and ponds off and on for 20 years. I started to make some decent money and the pew pew hobby got old and ammo got expensive, so I decided to start up a reef tank.
 
It started with a carnival goldfish when I was 5.

I've had everything from crayfish, blue gills and bass. Piranhas. Snapping turtle. To a freshwater 55 gallon community tank with over 80 fish in it. Planted freshwater 125 full of about 25-30 neon blues and 2 big angelfish.

Saltwater started with a lionfish. Now a full blown reef tank.

There was never a time I didn't have some kind of fish tank.

And I have an outdoor enclosure with 4 Eastern Box turtles in it. They were rescues from my yard. Found crows digging up their eggs in mid November in my wife's rose garden. The eggs were all torn up and the turtles still had the yolk sacs on their bellies. They were pretty battered. Took them inside and grabbed a spare tank. Wrapped them in a wet paper towel. Threw a heat lamp over it. They came out when they were ready. That was 14 years ago. Now they are full adults.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new