How do I correctly adjust my magnesium level?

LeMasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my Mag level 2 days ago and it was at 1260 on a Salifert test. I don't thinks a terrible number but as I start to refine my water parameters and gain stability I would like that number to be at 1350. I'm using BRS 2 part maintenance mix of magnesium to try and slowly raise the level. I'm targeting 8.5 Alkalinity. and 450 calcium. after the first small dose of Magnesium the level rose to 1290 which seemed good. I tested Alk with Hanna Checker just to see if it was still holding at 8.5, it had risen to 8.9. After seeing this I decide to dose the small amount of mag again (100)ml the next day. I tested again and the Mag reading was still 1290 but Alaklinity had rose to 9.9. Seeing this high of alk i decide to check the calcium which had been steady at 450, it had also went up to 475. I made sure to calibrate my refractometer with calibration fluid and i'm getting 35 or 1.026 I'm just curious if what i'm seeing is normal or am I doing something wrong?

Previously I had been keeping everything in good ranges using red sea coral pro for my water changes. I noticed that I started to get some good coralline growth on my overflow. I decided that it might be time to start adding alk, and cal to the tank as its used between water changes. I decided to switch to red sea blue bucket because it mixed closer to my target values. I figured I could mix a batch and elevate the mag in the new mix and that would be a more stable process for the water changes. After switching I notice the coralline to stop growing and actualy retreat. I also noticed the alk up take to stall out.

I would be happy to provide any other details about the system that might be needed to understand what's happening. My goal is to graduate from soft coral tank into keeping stony corals. I have made decent progress in stabilizing parts of the system and now imp trying to focus on my water chemistry and understand better how it works and what I need to do. Sorry for the long post just looking to get some good advice from the knowledgeable folks on here. Thanks in advance

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
if you need to make single adjustments(as in, only want to raise mag) then you would need to just dose magnesium. most of the time, the "mixtures" we use raise things we don't want to raise, like in your case your ALK rose.

OP
OP
LeMasterReef

LeMasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you need to make single adjustments(as in, only want to raise mag) then you would need to just dose magnesium. most of the time, the "mixtures" we use raise things we don't want to raise, like in your case your ALK rose.
so the brs mag mix I'm using would raise alk and cal? To be clear the only additive I'm adding is mag.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
so the brs mag mix I'm using would raise alk and cal? To be clear the only additive I'm adding is mag.
to my understanding of your post, isn't that what you are already dosing? if that mix is also raising your ALK/CAL, but you only want to raise mag, just get something that only has mag.

OP
OP
LeMasterReef

LeMasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the product description of what I'm using to raise mag..
Pre-Mixed - Makes 1 Gallon of BRS Liquid Magnesium Mix:

5 1/4 c. Magnesium Chloride : 2 c. Magnesium Sulfate

• Ideal for weekly/monthly dosing or small adjustments
  • No residue left behind
  • Mixes fast and clear
  • Designed for easy dosing
  • Pharmaceutical grade materials used

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
this is the product description of what I'm using to raise mag..
Pre-Mixed - Makes 1 Gallon of BRS Liquid Magnesium Mix:

5 1/4 c. Magnesium Chloride : 2 c. Magnesium Sulfate

• Ideal for weekly/monthly dosing or small adjustments
  • No residue left behind
  • Mixes fast and clear
  • Designed for easy dosing
  • Pharmaceutical grade materials used
:thinking-face:.. perhaps @Randy Holmes-Farley can be more help than i.

OP
OP
LeMasterReef

LeMasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just surprised to see cal and alk going the wrong direction with out adding those two. can it be from coralline death?

Adding magnesium at the level you are at now won’t alter calcium or alkalinity in any rapid fashion.

Im not sure why you see an alk rise, and it may just be a testing issue. It could also be uptake is disrupted for some other reason.

OP
OP
LeMasterReef

LeMasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding magnesium at the level you are at now won’t alter calcium or alkalinity in any rapid fashion.

Im not sure why you see an alk rise, and it may just be a testing issue. It could also be uptake is disrupted for some other reason.
I think I will do a couple water changes and see if that brings them back down to my desired level.

OP
OP
LeMasterReef

LeMasterReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use that alk test on the new water yet?
That's my project for this evening. I plan to test a fresh 5 gallons mixed up to 1.026. I will test the alk, cal and mag. After determining what those numbers are from this batch I intend to add mag to the freshly mixed bucket to brink it up to my target of 1350.
I hope that what ever the amount of mag is required will be somewhat of a constant that I can always just add to the water when I'm making it up for a water change.
I'm trying to get my water changes to have the same values that I'm targeting in the tank that way I can always know I'm not shifting anything when I do a water change.
I have tested the blue bucket and have it written down at home in my notes. I want to say that it actually tested higher then what they claim. If I remember right I want to say 8.7 on alk.

Back