How do I cure rock?

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kind of been out of the hobby for a bit, but I’m looking to get back in. I have a lot of rock that I’d like to get started on so it’s ready by the time my tank gets setup. I have some rock sitting outside and some sitting in boxes in the basement (all of which was used in my last tank). I can’t remember what I’m going to have to do to get this rock ready. Curing it if I remember correctly. How would you guys go about it? I’d like a step by step approach from my dry pieces to in tank when ready. Thanks everyone!

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kind of been out of the hobby for a bit, but I’m looking to get back in. I have a lot of rock that I’d like to get started on so it’s ready by the time my tank gets setup. I have some rock sitting outside and some sitting in boxes in the basement (all of which was used in my last tank). I can’t remember what I’m going to have to do to get this rock ready. Curing it if I remember correctly. How would you guys go about it? I’d like a step by step approach from my dry pieces to in tank when ready. Thanks everyone!
How long has your rock been cooped up? What kind of biological environment has your rock been in?

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your rock been cooped up? What kind of biological environment has your rock been in?
Been sitting about a year. The bigger pieces are outside and smaller ones are in the basement in boxes. It was all completely dry when I bought it, it was in a 150g that was setup for a few months. I cycled it in that tank. No major algae problems or high p04 prior to tear down. If it makes any difference I will most likely be using mainly the rock in the boxes inside and maybe few larger pieces from outside. I’m in Ohio so they’re going to be frozen.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have everything you need. Just go with it bro
I’ve kind of been out of the hobby for a bit, but I’m looking to get back in. I have a lot of rock that I’d like to get started on so it’s ready by the time my tank gets setup. I have some rock sitting outside and some sitting in boxes in the basement (all of which was used in my last tank). I can’t remember what I’m going to have to do to get this rock ready. Curing it if I remember correctly. How would you guys go about it? I’d like a step by step approach from my dry pieces to in tank when ready. Thanks everyone! I think your question is very valuable. I want to know the same thing.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been sitting about a year. The bigger pieces are outside and smaller ones are in the basement in boxes. It was all completely dry when I bought it, it was in a 150g that was setup for a few months. I cycled it in that tank. No major algae problems or high p04 prior to tear down. If it makes any difference I will most likely be using mainly the rock in the boxes inside and maybe few larger pieces from outside. I’m in Ohio so they’re going to be frozen.
It sounds like you are perfectly sound

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to have about 6 months of Rock

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if it's been sitting outside or open to the air in your garage youll definitely want to give it a good soak in water or bleach and scrub it before putting it in a tank...then you'll need to add your bottled bacteria since it's dry rock you're starting with

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend getting some quality wild or maricultured live rock to help establish sponges and microbial prcesses essential fo rhealthy reef ecosystems. Bacteria in a bottle is fine but only a few percent of the microbial stuff can be cultured and stuck in a bottle. See Aquabiomics article here:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the rock have old organics on it? I'd just bleach it for a week in a bucket. If it's clean, then a quick rinse to get rid of any dust or debris from storage is sufficient and you can start cycling.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back