How do I get my fish on pellets?

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding my melanurus wrasse, tomini tang, and pair of clowns frozen mysis shrimp for months now (since I’ve gotten them)

They will only touch pellets or flakes if they’re coming down right infront of their faces, and they’ll only eat one or two bites and become uninterested.

Any tips for getting them on pellets? My old clowns used to destroy them.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been feeding my melanurus wrasse, tomini tang, and pair of clowns frozen mysis shrimp for months now (since I’ve gotten them)

They will only touch pellets or flakes if they’re coming down right infront of their faces, and they’ll only eat one or two bites and become uninterested.

Any tips for getting them on pellets? My old clowns used to destroy them.

put an auto feeder on the tank for the pellets and don’t feed any frozen…
their hunger will eventually lead them to start recognizing and gobbling up the pellets.

sounds cruel, but when they’re spoiled on fresh foods… it’s hard to convert them right away.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They love Mysis, I’d stay that route, Frozen brine, reef frenzy, varied, why pellets? Easy to pollute your waters with these.
Why change? Are they not happy?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
withhold all food but the pellets.
At some point, they will become hungry enough to eat the pellets.

I recently QT'd a few new fish and put them into my DT a few days before I was set to leave for a 10 day vacation.
I'm only able to feed my DT with my remote pellet feeder when I'm gone. So my tank was going to see nothing but pellets for 10 days while I was away. The new fish I added weren't eating pellets when I left, but were when I got back.... so at some point during those 10 days, they decided to start eating pellets rather than continue to go hungry.

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They love Mysis, I’d stay that route, Frozen brine, reef frenzy, varied, why pellets? Easy to pollute your waters with these.
Why change? Are they not happy?
I think pellets are a lot more convenient, but you got a point!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs and algae blenny would not DO pellets for months. I kept feeding them what they would take and SLOWLY they started to nibble on pellets.
First to take them was my Purple Tang, then the algae blenny and last was the Yellow Tang. Now whenever pellets go in the greedy PT chases the YT into a corner then goes for the pelets.

My other fish won't touch pellets.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned by others, stop or cut back on feeding frozen and hopefully they will start taking pellets.
Also, soak the pellet in Garlic might help!
For those whom questioned why change if frozen are working just fine (and more nutrious)? I had to train my fishes to eat flakes and pellets because I leave the house at 6AM and don't get home til 7PM weekdays so I just want them to be fed a few time during the day and frozen when I get home. We also go on 2 weeks, 10 days vacation couple times a years so automatic feeders with Flakes and Pellets are a must.

Jrich666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say just get freeze dried mysis. A $20 container will last you many years. And if you want to add more vitamins use some selcon and garlic. That’s how I got my copper band to eat dry

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back