how do I improve coral growth. A beyound the basic's question

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Aren't trace elements replenish with 2 parts?
Only with certain brands, like ESV B-Ionic for example, but not with BRS/Pharma or many others.
Trace elements can be replaced by water changes, adding them separately or by some brands of 2 part only.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only with certain brands, like ESV B-Ionic for example, but not with BRS/Pharma or many others.
Trace elements can be replaced by water changes, adding them separately or by some brands of 2 part only.
ah no wonder. i use ESV B-Ionic =P.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Aren't trace elements replenish with 2 parts?
imo im 99.9 % sure the answer to this is no. trace element mixes contain things like
1670538393626.png

two part is just ca and alk.... you can how ever added trace supplments to your 2 part. tropic marin has trace A & K that can be added to you alk and ca solutions.

Also too clean of water can cause this (depends on the coral). Some acros prefer “dirty” water and others don’t. I think this is the reason WWC feeds every hour.
funny that there is very little video or written info on this.. most everything you hear about acros is to keep the water sterlized. lol

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo im 99.9 % sure the answer to this is no. trace element mixes contain things like
1670538393626.png

two part is just ca and alk.... you can how ever added trace supplments to your 2 part. tropic marin has trace A & K that can be added to you alk and ca solutions.

funny that there is very little video or written info on this.. most everything you hear about acros is to keep the water sterlized. lol
In my experience, most of the two parts I used contain trace elements already:

Seachem Fusion:
Reef Fusion 1™ provides not only 100,000 mg/L of ionic calcium, but also includes biologically appropriate levels of magnesium, strontium, boron, iron, manganese, and molybdenum.

ATI:
Essentials Pro is a laboratory quality concentrate that comes pre-mixed with the major and minor elements that your reef needs, ready-to-use.

All For Reef:
Tropic Marin All-For-Reef is a revolutionary approach to dosing, combining calcium, alkalinity, and other trace elements into a single, easy to use solution.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pappone (means pimp in Italian, but it's coral food) and HGH.

This is exactly what I was going to reference. Not that anyone in the USA will have an easy time getting hgh for their aquarium or anything, I think there is a LOT to take from this method even then.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to start the moonshinners method.. its got the level of control that appeals to my ocd... i have always be lery of those all in ones trace elements.. i mean with those all in ones you do not know if your OD'ing one element or the other...

after going back and looking at old icp tests, when i was dosing the all in one elements last night. its clear, that is what was happening with certin elements.

time for me to stop being lazy and take my tank to that next level-- to infinity AND beyond. LOL

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to start the moonshinners method.. its got the level of control that appeals to my ocd... i have always be lery of those all in ones trace elements.. i mean with those all in ones you do not know if your OD'ing one element or the other...

after going back and looking at old icp tests, when i was dosing the all in one elements last night. its clear, that is what was happening with certin elements.

think about it---- heres a hypothedical---your tank does not use alot of nickel and those levels keeps climbing according to the several icp tests.... so why keep dosing an all in one trace daily, or bi weekly, etc that contains nickel?

time for me to stop being lazy and take my tank to that next level-- to infinity AND beyound. LOL
Good luck! I’d like to follow your build thread. :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

time for me to stop being lazy and take my tank to that next level-- to infinity AND beyond. LOL
Tin is used in making pvc. It could be/most likely be leeching from your pipes.

Screenshot_20221209_112920_Email.jpg

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like fine growth to me. Some corals just grow slower then others.

Take for instance my walt disney, hasn't moved a inch in a year, but my BC mrs scarlet has been fragged many times.
Not to derail but do you have any pictures of your Miss Scarlett? I too have this coral but I’m not 100% sure of identity and could use some assistance.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible picture, but this is before I chopped it down to nothing. I much prefer the oregon tort behind it, and mrs scarlett grows so fast, it was killing the tort.

20220521_074834.jpg

It's just an encrusting nub right now. I only left the encrusting bit when I chopped it down.

The original frag from my first battle box.

20190320_153215.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I lie!

My miss scarlet died. Looking at the original frags, that is shades of fall. My bad, sorry

Been thinking that should be red all these years. never colored up to that nice red, the reason I chopped it down. LOL

Now I know it was shades of fall.

Original frag of miss scarlet, and shades of fall.
20190320_162950.jpg

20190320_182635.jpg

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I lie!

My miss scarlet died. Looking at the original frags, that is shades of fall. My bad, sorry

Been thinking that should be red all these years. never colored up to that nice red, the reason I chopped it down. LOL

20190320_162950.jpg

20190320_182635.jpg
Ok. Looks like identified mine correctly. I had originally bought 8 frags from BC but lost track of what I had as they died over the years. Thanks for the help!

image.jpg image.jpg

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I lie!

20190320_162950.jpg

20190320_182635.jpg
I was gonna say....I thought miss scarlet is red

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back