how do I keep LED tank cool?

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first summer with LED (had cf). I have a 12 gal tank and it seems to run hotter with the LED. Usually on a 90-100' day I might have to float a bag of ice, but today was 85 and my tank was 85. I can't float a bag of ice all the time, any ideas on how to keep it cool?

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a fan or a chiller? Usually LEDs will not impact temp much on a tank. They run cool in comparison to MH or T5

OP
OP
kimba

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the JBJ nano cube, and it has two fans/chillers in the hood.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your room air is at 85, your tank temp will creep up as well. You either need to use an air conditioner for the room or a chiller for the tank. At 85 degrees a fan won't cut it.

OP
OP
kimba

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the tank in the same place for almost 4 yrs. This Dec I switched from the jbj 12 gal delux with cf to the jbj 12 gal with LED. The only other time my tank has gone this high is on REALLY hot days like 90's or 100, that's why I thought it was the LEDs. Idon't know why else it would be getting so hot, unless the fans aren't working...they have been making a terrible noise when I first turn them on in the morning. It lasts a couple minutes, then sounds fine. Maybe I will call the company.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arnt jbj's hooded? why not just open the hood a bit...when it's really hot?

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn down the ac. I keep mine on 68 degrees. My Heater still kicks on. Im an hvac contractor im in hot homes all day im definitely not coming home to one.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn down the ac. I keep mine on 68 degrees. My Heater still kicks on. Im an hvac contractor im in hot homes all day im definitely not coming home to one.

Ya but it's got to more then that...Id think...

I kinda like heat, Summer now time work space is in 110-120 easy(glass artist, previous navy boil tech experience), my home runs 78-80.....until the hubby comes home THEN we turn the ac on as every day he's still like what the heck but thats at like 6pm... and then I turn it off around 10.
My tanks arnt getting to 85.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Led's actually don't really run that cool all the time esp if you have it in a hood with the heat sink. The cf may have had a natural aspiration and cooling that is now blocked by the Budy of the led or the heat sink. But I couldn't tell without pics.
Def check the fans and make sure it's venting well. And pulling the air up and out of the lid.
In summer yea I cracked the hood open a bit to get the air flow better.

Fwiw my new to me ai sol the sink is cool but the light is 133 degrees at full next to the led. So I couldn't put it in my canopy with just the sink sticking out.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your problem is not the LED's but the ambient temperature of that room. I'd actually suggest a window air conditioner over a chiller. A chiller will just add more heat to a room that is very high in temperature. Cost wise, it's probably a wash, but I feel the air conditioner would be the better choice. A room at 85, that chiller would run constantly and add considerable heat to the room.

In addition, when the hubby came home, he'd have a place he could immediately go to cool off.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your room air is at 85, your tank temp will creep up as well. You either need to use an air conditioner for the room or a chiller for the tank. At 85 degrees a fan won't cut it.

Last month our a/c was out for about 3 days til I could get a repair guy out. Temps in the house were getting up to 85-86 also. I went to Walmart and bought a 6 inch desktop fan and ran it on 24/7 and only ran the lights a few hours a day. It kept the tank about 80-81 during the day and then about 78-80 at night. He may try that but will have to remove the lid during the day. I now run the fan on my apex. With the fan and heater it now keeps my tank between 77.5-78.5 consistently now.

fredro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product...EFvqJRiUk2buq6QncJxlGeKfHHe1nH8oYXxoC9Jjw_wcB

These were a cheap solution to me.

I had these clipped in the back of my nanocube and they did a great job of cooling it down. Only side effect was much faster evaporation. If you've got an ATO, that shouldn't be a big deal though. I would also wedge a small piece of plastic between the lid and the top rim, to leave the hood propped up just enough to add a little extra air flow.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say window air conditioner. Here's a quick sampling of HD

5000 BTU - $119
6000 BTU - $179
8000 BTU - $239

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6 JBJ nano has a full hood, so clip on fans won't work. Did you have this tank last summer and it was fine temp wise? Do you still have the stock pump in there? Those things run hot and we change them out every time.... I think I have 6 JBJs (or more) and have had all the different sizes and all the different lighting (PCs, HQI, LED) The fans in the hood is not doing anything for the tank, it's cooling the lights and/or heat sink. They blow directly into the lid and never hit the tank itself. Everyone knows the "ahhhhh, how nice" moment when you hook up an ATO. Hooking up a chiller is just like that. I think you could take all my equipment, but leave me my chiller. It's a beautiful beautiful thing.

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon nano barely staying at 78 degrees with the heater never engaging through my temp controller. 4 pumps create a lot of heat! debating between the CSXC-1 or the JBJ Mini-Artica. Big price difference though. Ambient temp of room is at 70 now, but with winter coming, the wood stove will significantly make that room warmer. Thoughts?

65094216.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back