How do I keep my Alkalinty stable? I’m still kinda new to all this.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my concerns about the api test kits as sometimes when I check ammonia or ph I get some crazy reading and then the 2nd sample will be much more normal. I invested in a Hanna checker for phosphate. About to do the same for alk. Well let’s look at my issue...
all my softies SPS and lps are happy it is only the encrusting type corals I am having an issue with where 3 have lost thier color in patches and are now purple. One piece is turning black to the top and white on the sides. could this be something else??
salinity 1.025
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5ppm
phosphate 0.030
magnesium 1350
calcium 460
alk: 9 today 7 yesterday seems to be the trend.
Hanna is great but takes too much time for how often I test (sps dominant) so I use salifert for alk. its super quick and the color change is drastic.

IF there is a swing/spike as large as you're experiencing I would think you'd be having issues will all sps but that's just based off my experience, a 2 point jump in 24 hours would tick my whole tank off. If it happened every week I think my tank would have RTN'd a few weeks in.
The only time I've had trouble with montis and birdsnest were with low nutrients, I'd loose all color thought not turn purple.
Wish I could be of more help. I'll be taggin along to see what the cause was.

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rapid nitrate depreciation it might cause alk to increase.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is great but takes too much time for how often I test (sps dominant) so I use salifert for alk. its super quick and the color change is drastic.

IF there is a swing/spike as large as you're experiencing I would think you'd be having issues will all sps but that's just based off my experience, a 2 point jump in 24 hours would tick my whole tank off. If it happened every week I think my tank would have RTN'd a few weeks in.
The only time I've had trouble with montis and birdsnest were with low nutrients, I'd loose all color thought not turn purple.
Wish I could be of more help. I'll be taggin along to see what the cause was.
Birds nest is ok. It’s the monti 2 favias and one other coral, all of which are encrusting type corals that are having this issue.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have rapid nitrate depreciation it might cause alk to increase.

Ah- HA. And nopox removes both phosphates and nitrates.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I would make additional changes I would get a reliable/consistent test kit to confirm that Alk is actually moving like the test is showing. I like the idea of the Hanna. Have been using one for years. Can test Alk in a matter of a minute or two.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your not using freshwater to top the tank off during the week, and then using a very weak salt solution for your water change to make up for it. Or using saltwater to top off and a thin water change. Are you testing salinity throughout the week?

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your not using freshwater to top the tank off during the week, and then using a very weak salt solution for your water change to make up for it. Or using saltwater to top off and a thin water change. Are you testing salinity throughout the week?
I am indeed using freshwater(RO water) in my top off. Salinity is stable 1.025

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am having the same problem stopped douser and my all is going up but mine is at 14 right now only a few softies was adding amino acids and replenish had a Dino outbreak mag 1410 cal 460 ph 8.1 doh 14.7 they told me if you have a drop in nitrates all goes up

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are definitely some odd results here and the only thing I can come up with is errors in testing. The only way Alk can increase is if it's being dosed either through water changes or directly. 24 hours after a water change is a great time to test because everything should be mixed up by then. If your tests then start going up from there with no water changes and no dosing, something is off in testing.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they told me if you have a drop in nitrates all goes up

Note: I am NOT a chemist. But my understanding is yes, corals like nitrates and if they drop too low, your corals will be unhappy and slow Alk consumption causing it to rise. But AFAIK this can only occur while consistently dosing Alk at the same time. I'm not aware of any direct correlation between a drop in Nitrates and an increase in Alk without any Alk dosing.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah might as well buy it tonight

My favorite Alk tester. Up front cost, but in the long run it's inexpensive and simple to test:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back