How Do I Keep My Live Rock Glued Together When It's Wet?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100 lbs of Live Rock that has come from other locals tanks. I need to aquascape it and I don't want to stack it. How do you get this done???

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zip ties work. They will grow over with corraline and blend in over time.
Using a two part epoxy such as JB waterweld is an option, but too much at once will cause the skimmer to go CRAAAAZY. If it's already an established tank, I wouldn't go the waterweld option too much at a time either. Could always bust out a drill and use some acrylic rods to build your scape. All that comes to mind right off hand.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never glued any of my LR, and have re-positioned the rock serveral times, just something to think about. I added 2 shelf rocks after the first year, and had to move stuff around. My 180 has only 7 rocks in the sand which gives a lot of extra flow, and makes for easy cleaning

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll try the drilling and the rods. I've seen Mike Paletta's videos where he uses that technique, and it looks fantastic.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer glue my rock, I stack it and have yet to have problems. I have found it to be extremely valuable if and when you get pests because once your corals start to encrust on your rock and you need to go drastic measures and dip them you can remove rockwork one at a time and place them right back where they were. I have never had anything topple, as the trick is to stack properly.

I have one or two showcase pieces that I drilled and used rods but even then they are stacked on other larger pieces.

When I DID glue my rock I found that using that simple two little fishies brand epoxy that every single LFS in the world seems to carry does great when used as a super glue sandwich. Take putty, cake reef glue on both sides and stick it under the pressure points of the rocks and slowly press them together underwater. Within 20 minutes there will be a bond you have to struggle to break.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some polymorph to adhere my rocks. It's suppose to expand rather than contract like epoxy.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ordered from where? got a link?
I started a thread asking a similar question to you here.

jsker pointed me to a couple suggestions. One of them being polymorph. Reefbuiders made a article about it here.

This video explains how to use it..

I ordered a product called Instamorph. After doing some research, I realized that the stuff made for our hobby is just rebranded.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread asking a similar question to you here.

jsker pointed me to a couple suggestions. One of them being polymorph. Reefbuiders made a article about it here.

This video explains how to use it..

I ordered a product called Instamorph. After doing some research, I realized that the stuff made for our hobby is just rebranded.

Hope this helps :)

This is very helpful, thank you! Have a great weekend!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic can be found pretty cheap on Amazon as stated all it is is Polymorphic plastic.

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in love with the polymorphic plastic!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3BT0BV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried a couple types of epoxy, hydraulic cement, and this stuff and by far it was the fastest and easiest way to get a good bond. Even the epoxy takes 10-15 minutes to set and contracts.

I also use it to cover magnets for use in the tank.

Here's my scape.

IMG_1966.JPG

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back