How do I know if my tank is stable?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what you imply when you say nothing at all? Are you saying that people get much advice to do something but they choose not to do anything at all because they are overwhelmed?

I don’t mind waiting. I’m just a little confused about why there will be another ugly stage. I like to think of algae as a cause and effect. Nitrates and phosphates high = algae.

Im kind of scratching my head on why I’m going to get algae.

I have the 5 micron socks and I really don’t want to remove them. They are part of my ich management experiment.

Yes, overwhelmed is a suitable word to describe it.

Algae---people get algae running zero nitrates and Phosphates, some people dont
people get algae running 30 nitrates and 2.0 phosphates some people dont
some people have algae blooms 2 years in, some people don't

see what I mean? every tank is different. Pick a "mentor" to lead you and follow along :cool:

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, overwhelmed is a suitable word to describe it.

Algae---people get algae running zero nitrates and Phosphates, some people dont
people get algae running 30 nitrates and 2.0 phosphates some people dont
some people have algae blooms 2 years in, some people don't

see what I mean? every tank is different. Pick a "mentor" to lead you and follow along :cool:
This is true and that's why I say it's more about the competition than the high numbers because some people can run high numbers and don't have a nuisance algae issue, and sometimes snails get it first if you have a high stock of those. There are just a ton of variables because life is so adaptable. Also yes pick an advisor or a philosophy and follow that, you shouldn't mix and match.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks rarely grow corraline at all. I donate buckets of excess montipora to the local reef shop because its over growing my tank. Corraline is not a good litmus for stability .

Not an expert on clams, but my experience them it that they prefer higher nutrients in the water than the OPs.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back