How do I lift and lower my canopy?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a black acrylic canopy that sits on top of my tank and it looks great but isn't very user friendly (so I'm not using it right now). I'd like to design something that can lift it up out of my way for maintenance. Currently I have an eye hook above it that can be used and a pulley that I may end up using. I have lots of tools to use but am not well versed in metal or acrylic work (I can make anything with wood). Anybody have any ideas to raise and lower the canopy? The key here will be to keep it cheap! Thanks!
20200104_143218_HDR.jpg
20200104_143212.jpg

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the pulley would be the best

How would you recommend setting it up? I've thought about tying some paracord to the canopy and running it through the pull but there's gotta be a better way??

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are good with wood working, I would make a canopy frame and hang that permanent.

Next I would cut sides off existing canopy/make new sides and put rare earth magnets on the frame and sides.

From there you can just pull the 'skin' off the canopy while maintaining a very solid canopy frame.

I think the pulley system won't work as well as you would hope, and securing the pulley in the up position presents its own challenges.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are good with wood working, I would make a canopy frame and hang that permanent.

Next I would cut sides off existing canopy/make new sides and put rare earth magnets on the frame and sides.

From there you can just pull the 'skin' off the canopy while maintaining a very solid canopy frame.

I think the pulley system won't work as well as you would hope, and securing the pulley in the up position presents its own challenges.
Probably knows more then me!

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh that's an interesting idea. So your saying to just to build a wood canopy and wrap in the acrylic pieces. I'm open to more ideas but that might be a winner. How would I take apart the welded acrylic canopy? Fein tool with a metal blade? Tile saw? Just break it apart? I'm pretty clueless on that

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my current canopy (top down pic)
20200104_154203.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have attic space above the tank? I would use a chandelier lift(an electric hoist) to raise and lower the hood. If you have attic space, I'd mount it in the attic and run the cable down through the ceiling so theres minimal visual distractions.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have attic space above the tank but am not sure that'll fit in the budget. What would something like that cost me?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure theres quite a few out there in this price range. But this was just a quick amazon search.

Steel Dragon Tools 440 LBS Mini Electric Wire Cable Hoist Overhead Crane Lift with 110 V Motor and Remote Control for Garage Auto Shop

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh that's an interesting idea. So your saying to just to build a wood canopy and wrap in the acrylic pieces. I'm open to more ideas but that might be a winner. How would I take apart the welded acrylic canopy? Fein tool with a metal blade? Tile saw? Just break it apart? I'm pretty clueless on that
Oh, I didn't realize it was a metal canopy, I was thinking wood construction.

I am just saying build a rectangle the size you want with open sides, and then build whatever type of skin you want to attach and be the sides. If it were me, I would rip 1x1 hardwood strips for the rectangle and construct with glue and dowels.

Whatever skin you decide, I would go lightweight. Maybe use a marine paint/finish product that would typically go on boats.

If you are wanting to take apart canopy, I would probably go with an angle grinder, but that is outside my expertise so I do not know.

If you go the hoist route, harbor freight has some reasonably priced ones as well. I typically don't recommend them, but for something that will be getting a fairly light use, this might be the move. My main concern would be running the canopy into the tank when going down with it.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canopy is currently 100% acrylic, no metal. Thanks for all the good input!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back