How do I lower my ph?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph is consistently running at 9.1 and trust me it isn't a test error because the probe measuring it has been replaced and calibrated. How can I lower my ph? Thank you!

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding so much kalk?

If it's legitimately 9.1 (I have my doubts) - you need to be dosing significant volumes of something to raise it that high assuming you're starting out with RO/DI and salt mix. It doesn't climb that high on it's own.

Have you verified with a test kit?

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so fast, are you adding a product that has the affect of raising ph? Stopping or reducing that product may be the better solution than trying to lower your ph another way, whilst still adding the ph boosting product…and yes your reading could be wrong, even with a change of probe.

I have just tested my alk with the Hanna check, got a slightly high reading that I wasn’t expecting, so opened a new reagent bottle, got exactly the same reading! Did I attempt to lower my alk? No I tested it again with Salifert and aquaforest, both test kits gave the same reading of 1dkh lower than the Hanna, lesson is do not take any action until you are 100% sure of your test results.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt I am guessing you are not adding any ph boosting products, as you would then not be so sure your test results are correct, therefore leading me to think your reading of 9.1ph is indeed wrong.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so fast, are you adding a product that has the affect of raising ph? Stopping or reducing that product may be the better solution than trying to lower your ph another way, whilst still adding the ph boosting product…and yes your reading could be wrong, even with a change of probe.

I have just tested my alk with the Hanna check, got a slightly high reading that I wasn’t expecting, so opened a new reagent bottle, got exactly the same reading! Did I attempt to lower my alk? No I tested it again with Salifert and aquaforest, both test kits gave the same reading of 1dkh lower than the Hanna, lesson is do not take any action until you are 100% sure of your test results.
Giving you the benefit of the doubt I am guessing you are not adding any ph boosting products, as you would then not be so sure your test results are correct, therefore leading me to think your reading of 9.1ph is indeed wrong.
I totally understand where youre coming from and ill cross check with another kit but it doesnt make sense when a brand new apex probe and calibration are reading the same as the replaced probe :)

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing aeration should help normalise it. Do you have a skimmer running? Are you growing a kelp forest, or loads of other algae’s?
Algae free and running a skimmer 24/7

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop adding so much kalk?

If it's legitimately 9.1 (I have my doubts) - you need to be dosing significant volumes of something to raise it that high assuming you're starting out with RO/DI and salt mix. It doesn't climb that high on it's own.

Have you verified with a test kit?
No kalk or ph boosting additives are in use :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand where youre coming from and ill cross check with another kit but it doesnt make sense when a brand new apex probe and calibration are reading the same as the replaced probe :)
There was an exact same thread to this, the op protested it wasn’t the probe, turned out it was the probe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That makes a lot more sense than pH 9.1, which is 100% guaranteed error. Even if you massively overdosed super high pH alk supplements, when the pH hits high levels like that (as I have several times) precipitation of calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide turns the tank white like milk and also lowers pH again.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you calibrate it? Manual or the automatic?
What solutions did you use? 7 and 10 or 4 and 7?did you select the right ones?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot more sense than pH 9.1, which is 100% guaranteed error. Even if you massively overdosed super high pH alk supplements, when the pH hits high levels like that (as I have several times) precipitation of calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide turns the tank white like milk and also lowers pH again.
I've seen pH reach 9 in a mature phyto culture, but that's probably from the phyto stripping out CO2, right?

OP, I don't suppose your tank water is a very dark green color, is it? Assuming not and so as others have said it must be test error.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this is an errant ph probe reading and it is possible to get such a reading even after calibration with a bad probe. As the notorious RHF (in a positive way) mentioned, if your ph is actually that high, you're going to have noticeable precipitation issues. It'll be so bad your display panels will look "chalky" on the wet sides.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen pH reach 9 in a mature phyto culture, but that's probably from the phyto stripping out CO2, right?

OP, I don't suppose your tank water is a very dark green color, is it? Assuming not and so as others have said it must be test error.

Such a culture may not have seed crystals of existing calcium carbonate surfaces, but magnesium hydroxide may well precipitate from many tanks at that pH.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had much luck long term with any PH probe.
They work, then drift.
No long follow PH, I maximized what I could, and never measured it again.
9.1 is that even possible?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had much luck long term with any PH probe.
They work, then drift.
No long follow PH, I maximized what I could, and never measured it again.
9.1 is that even possible?

Possible with 20ppm CO2 (outdoor air is 400ppm). How you strip out that much CO2 is the challenge...

SmartSelect_20220811-193210_Pydroid 3.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back