How do i mount 60” ai blades!

Notsolostfish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2014
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
801
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im in a rough spot, my tank is 5 foot, i use 2 xr30 radions g5 not enough for shading, and sand corals. Irs getting crowded. I want to supplement with 2 AI blades the rms mounts are at the back of the tank.

However i dont see anything could potentially work without adding weight? My lid custom from top lids not like i can do the sides
What are my options

IMG_8582.jpeg IMG_8583.jpeg
 
So im in a rough spot, my tank is 5 foot, i use 2 xr30 radions g5 not enough for shading, and sand corals. Irs getting crowded. I want to supplement with 2 AI blades the rms mounts are at the back of the tank.

However i dont see anything could potentially work without adding weight? My lid custom from top lids not like i can do the sides
What are my options

IMG_8582.jpeg IMG_8583.jpeg
https://www.chewy.com/aquailluminat...mQfiGh9xXVru0j-NgEAdoJu8SB-lPaAsaAqKUEALw_wcB

The blades "L" foot "should" work on your lid.
Hard to tell from just the photos/pics..

Screenshot 2025-10-27 103526.png



Screenshot 2025-10-27 103826.png
 
Last edited:
Thats awesome’! Yes it does!!! But those L shaped mount says max 39” for blade size? Im going with 60” too much weight on them?
Think you mis-interpret this.
Up to 39" blades "a" mount is included..a low profile mount.
As an alternative to the Low Profile Tank Rest that's included with AI Blade LED fixtures up to 39", the Elevated Tank Rest increases light spread and allows for easier access into the aquarium.

BUT..
If you use the Elevated Tank Rest on the larger sizes you may see some bowing which is normal but not recommended.
https://support.aquaillumination.com/hc/en-us/articles/11438402237335-Mounting-Recommendations
The 48.1", 57.1", and 66.1" Blades come with HMS clips that will allow you to mount the Blade to an existing HMS system, in your canopy, or custom mounting as you see fit.
 
Cant mount to the ceiling no studs
Open the drywall and add a piece of wood, standing upright and perpendicular, between the existing studs... that's how you mount a ceiling fan where you want it...
 
Last edited:
Thats awesome’! Yes it does!!! But those L shaped mount says max 39” for blade size? Im going with 60” too much weight on them?
Think you mis-interpret this.
Up to 39" blades "a" mount is included..a low profile mount.
As an alternative to the Low Profile Tank Rest that's included with AI Blade LED fixtures up to 39", the Elevated Tank Rest increases light spread and allows for easier access into the aquarium.

BUT..
If you use the Elevated Tank Rest on the larger sizes you may see some bowing which is normal but not recommended.
https://support.aquaillumination.com/hc/en-us/articles/11438402237335-Mounting-Recommendations
The 48.1", 57.1", and 66.1" Blades come with HMS clips that will allow you to mount the Blade to an existing HMS system, in your canopy, or custom mounting as you see fit.
So im confused by your suggestion are u telling me to do it or not
Lmfaoo
 
So im confused by your suggestion are u telling me to do it or not
Lmfaoo
I'm saying you can use them but the light might bow a bit.
AI doesn't recommend it but how much bow is there??

There are other leds that have this issue but work fine. Aesthetics is up to you.
72" Beamswork sagging..
Screenshot 2025-10-27 184045.png


There's probably an easy way to stiffen its backbone BUT warranty..yadda yadda..
 
I would definitely be worried about the raised "L" legs bowing on a 60" Blade, unfortunately. (I am using them on a 12" Blade, and I'd say you could get away with up to a 30" Blade without a problem.)
 
I would definitely be worried about the raised "L" legs bowing on a 60" Blade, unfortunately. (I am using them on a 12" Blade, and I'd say you could get away with up to a 30" Blade without a problem.)
The tank rest works on 12.1", 21.1", 30.1", and 39.1"
I'll take the co's word on that one.
So im confused by your suggestion are u telling me to do it or not
Lmfaoo
See #25...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ai-blade-mounting-question.1101335/page-2

OK, got a detailed answer from AI:

The longer versions bow when mounted with just the tank rests. Not only does that make the light look bad, but it also makes it more likely to break the LED PCBs, and is more likely to succumb to outside forces due to a gap that's created between the foam gasket and the surface of the lens.
 
Cant mount to the ceiling no studs
You do not need studs in the ceiling.
I mounted multiple different light systems over the years to my ceiling using a 1" x 2" piece of oak. I used molly screws in 4 spots to attach the oak strip to the ceiling. Then hung everything off that.
In the picture is 2 of the heaviest fixtures I've seen available ( CoralCare gen 2 fixtures).
Plus now I have a pair of 60" Reef Brite XHO's attached now with my own brackets.
Fairly simple and easy.


 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new