How do I prepare silversides for Moray?

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some silver sides for my moray and I don't know how to prepare them. Do I feed them in chunks, whole, deboned? I know you are supposed to take of the head but other than that I don't know what to do because i have not fed silversides before. Thanx!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of moray is it? And how big is it and the silversides?
Squid and shrimp are a great food sources for morays. A lot cheaper than any traditional aquarium food too.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 4oz package of silversides at petco (yes I know), they are practically falling apart. I didn't measure but they are about 2.5" long. The eel has refused to eat the week and a half I have had it and it just refused some silverside meat. The eel is a snowflake moray and is about 10-11".

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A young snowflake should love squid. Grab some from the seafood counter at the supermarket and cut it into bite size pieces.
They're a crustacean eater in the wild and don't usually eat fish.
It's normal for a snowflake to ignore food for a while when first added to a new environment too.
Is she active yet or still hiding?
Don't worry about the eel too much, this is all normal behaviour :)

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's fresh seafood, it can be frozen. They will not eat the preserved "bleached" seafood like unshelled shrimp in the butchers case!!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it's fresh seafood, it can be frozen. They will not eat the preserved "bleached" seafood like unshelled shrimp in the butchers case!!

Yes! Good point :)
I should have specified "fresh" squid. As mentioned above, frozen is ok, but it has to be natural. No preservatives like packaged frozen seafoods can have and no processed seafood. Fresh is always best. Plus the processed and preservative filled stuff can add nasty things to the tank that we don't want.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95% it is under a rock with its face poking out. I have seen it once or twice swimming around a little. I will see if my local raley's or safeway has some squid. I just moved around some rock in the tank to make an island and I am about to add a fairly large arch. I make all of the rock myself and it becomes alive eventually because I started with a 5-7 pounds of live that spreads to my concrete sand mix whatever you want to call it.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once settled a bit more she
may come out more and explore her new home and then settle down again. This is when it's easiest to start feeding them IME.
She may already feel comfortable in the tank, which means she should take food pretty easily. Feeding tongs are easiest for me to feed eels.
She can go a few weeks without food, so don't worry of she doesn't feed for a while.

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember eels don't see so good, consider that when feeding. When I had a predator tank with a zebra I made a home for it using a smooth hard plastic bowl. I cut out a "U" shaped window on the side, smeared it with aquarium silicone, and coated it with pencil eraser size aquarium gravel. He seldom left except for feeding time and the occasional romp around the aquarium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so these guys are pretty much like cats, not active most of the time. I will make sure to pick up the squid as you guys said but I was wandering what types of crustaceans they eat, also where it buy them. I live about 30 minutes from the closest fish store (the place that O street aquarium moved to, I got the fish there), so I would like to know some types of food I could get at regular grocery stores. I already have feeding tongs I was going to use for my chameleon but she hand feeds now.

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend not make it difficult. Stick to fresh shrimp, squid and scallop and he'll be just fine. I use to buy a seafood potpourri (for soups and gumbos) they sell in some shops that has a little of everything!

tonkaoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine loves squid and is almost 30" long . it mostly comes out at night so maybe feed it at night . or leave a piece in the tank and it will find it

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so these guys are pretty much like cats, not active most of the time. I will make sure to pick up the squid as you guys said but I was wandering what types of crustaceans they eat, also where it buy them. I live about 30 minutes from the closest fish store (the place that O street aquarium moved to, I got the fish there), so I would like to know some types of food I could get at regular grocery stores. I already have feeding tongs I was going to use for my chameleon but she hand feeds now.

Feeding after lights out supposedly can help as mentioned above. I've usually had better luck during the day with feedings though, I guess every tank is a little different.
Suitable crustaceans include shrimp, crabs, cephalopods and certain bivalves, although they're way too expensive and pretty to use as food. I would just stick to fresh seafood.
I buy raw squid rings from the supermarket, the type you would crumb to make calamari rings. I occasionally get shrimp and white fleshed fish, but only on rare occasions. All of which should be easy enough to find at any supermarket :)
Remember to carefully clean the feeding tongs before and after each use. My pair missed a few cleanings and rusted.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have been sick so I did not make it to the store today but I have shrimp, squid, and maybe crab of my list. Do I have to take off the shell of not? I read they are nocturnal that is probably why they do better at night. I will make sure to rinse off the tongs and spray em' with H202 (hydrogen peroxide)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have been sick so I did not make it to the store today but I have shrimp, squid, and maybe crab of my list. Do I have to take off the shell of not? I read they are nocturnal that is probably why they do better at night. I will make sure to rinse off the tongs and spray em' with H202 (hydrogen peroxide)

I would definitely take the shells off. While they won't harm the eel, the shells hold a lot phosphate which can cause nutrient issues according to some very well respected authorities on reef chemistry.
They are typically nocturnal, but will quickly adapt to daytime activity especially once feeding. I haven't had an issue getting eels to feed during the day :)

I have a small snowflake eel who loves freeze dried krill.

Freeze dried krill isn't the most suitable food for eels (or any fish for that matter). Maybe as a once in a while type food, but not as a staple diet. Unfortunately it has next to no nutritional value in it :(

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys, I am pretty informed on what to feed now. I know this question is totaly random but Big Dog, what kind of corals on in your profile picture, I bought one at the lfs but I don't know what kind it is, thanx!

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys, I am pretty informed on what to feed now. I know this question is totaly random but Big Dog, what kind of corals on in your profile picture, I bought one at the lfs but I don't know what kind it is, thanx!

Aussy Alcyoniidae Leather

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back