Stout moray mistaken for a turkey moray

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had recently gotten an eel and it looked really similar to the turkey moray so I thought it was gymnothorax meleagris until I looked closer and found that he had a yellow head so I got a bit confused "the usual pictures of a turkey moray is mostly just black skin with white spots so why is he a yellow head?" I did think that maybe there's just various colours in a single species but I just couldn't find the colour of a turkey moray having a yellow or orange head, the only information I have gotten on a stout moray is that they grow to about 2 feet and that they eat reef fish but I wanted to know the tank size and tank mates it could be kept in and if inverts are safe i do know that he's aggressive so I don't know if I could keep another eel with him he's about 18 to 24 inches and his metabolism is also unusually more "faster" like he digests food so fast literally faster than my honeycomb moray and even my honeycomb moray is kept at the same temperature as him around 28degrees
It made more sense on why he couldn't get along with my tessalata eel he was just too small and would get torn to shreds thankfully he's in his own 40 gallon tank
1702794625394.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be right, apparently these 2 get confused with each often. They are similar in many regards, but the stout(G. eurostus) is kept less frequent, therefore you may have a harder time finding info on them. The turkey moray will have a solid white mouth, and the spots on the stout will be more irregular.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be right, apparently these 2 get confused with each often. They are similar in many regards, but the stout(G. eurostus) is kept less frequent, therefore you may have a harder time finding info on them. The turkey moray will have a solid white mouth, and the spots on the stout will be more irregular.
Oh why is the stout kept less often? Is it because it's harder to care for them? Or just a bit more rare? I did find a little info that they live quite a bit deep around 100m so that might explain the higher metabolism since the deeper the ocean is the more colder it is so keeping them in a quote a bit of a warm water might increase their metabolism he's doing really well now at first he didn't eat so often now he eats plenty i feed him algae wafers infused in shrimp along with the shells and since his multivitamins does contain garlic I don't think I need to worry about internal worms since garlic is a natural dewormer thanks for the info though, I think I might get a higher chance of keeping another eel with him in a 90 gallon about the same size or just a bit bigger. I also found some pics of the stout moray on Google so I guess that confirms it

Screenshot_2023-12-17-14-34-15-964_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg Screenshot_2023-12-17-14-26-06-012_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have success keeping the tessalata with a gymnothorax tile (Indian mud moray) I think it worked out because the tile was really small and he was already established in the tank but he sadly stopped eating because of the tess and passed away i had him for 1 and a half year sadly but I was more surprised that the tess didn't eat him nor showed him any aggression

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the most common reasons you don't see certain species is they may be prone to disease and/or they may be difficult to feed.
As we talked about earlier, eels can have the propensity to come in with internal parasites, and I believe you have already treated this one. You also offered live food which would address the difficulty to feed. These two issues alone can address the main issues many predatory fish face. The depth may also be a factor along with maybe their ability to hide and camouflage. Also so hard to know their population and distribution.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the most common reasons you don't see certain species is they may be prone to disease and/or they may be difficult to feed.
As we talked about earlier, eels can have the propensity to come in with internal parasites, and I believe you have already treated this one. You also offered live food which would address the difficulty to feed. These two issues alone can address the main issues many predatory fish face. The depth may also be a factor along with maybe their ability to hide and camouflage. Also so hard to know their population and distribution.
dang that gives me hope that i will be able to tackle quite a variety of fishes incase I do get the harder to care for ones but honestly, seeing how stressed this ******* made me, maybe I will wait and consider the easier option's but the effort i did take to get this guy feeding, not gonna lie it feels rewarding and it also feels as if I've grown attached to him even though it's been only around 2 weeks, ahaha thanks a lot for your advice and info it helped me a lot and i will be sure to spread it incase anyone needs it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back