Proper diet for a gymnothorax favagineus (tessalata eel) and a gymnothorax dovii (fine spotted moray eel)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mention 2 pellets, and to understand my meaning I use them for specific purposes, and minimally. I do not like pellets, we have an lfs here that has their own made without the ingredients that aquatic life should not eat, mainly the grains and dangerous preservatives. As far as the "metal sulfates" you mentioned, these are necessary elements, just as they are for the human body. I do not support chemical nutrients and is one of the reasons I do not commercial pellets of most lfs foods, but these pellets are used for a specific purpose, temporarily and minimally. Copper sulfate in the amount included, again is a necessary element, the copper you understand is not the same and is at a toxic level. The Saki-Hakari pellet, I specifically use for the high level of vitamin c, as vitamin c is great support for the immune system. I only use this one when a new addition is injured or seems to be lacking in general health, just for the period of acclimation until they are in good health. The New Life Spectrum Algae Max, while not perfect, is the best commercial algae pellet I have found, for the specific use of introducing green nutrients. As I have I stated, these nutrients will come from the entrails of prey in the wild. If you are able to introduce live macro algae then that would be the best, but you won't find an eel or a lion nibbling at an algae clip. If you are feeding live, then you can introduce these nutrients by gut loading their food.
Ah, using temporarily for a specific purpose makes more sense to me.

I know metals are necessary in small amounts for us and other critters, I'm just (genuinely) wondering why they would need to add them to the feed, as I would expect (possibly incorrectly) that the necessary trace elements and such would be present in good quantities in the meats and/or algae used in the feed.

That said, I definitely admit to a lack of chemistry knowledge, so I could also be missing some important information with the specific chemical forms in use.

By the way, wholeheartedly agree about the NLS pellets, live foods/macros, etc.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, using temporarily for a specific purpose makes more sense to me.

I know metals are necessary in small amounts for us and other critters, I'm just (genuinely) wondering why they would need to add them to the feed, as I would expect (possibly incorrectly) that the necessary trace elements and such would be present in good quantities in the meats and/or algae used in the feed.

That said, I definitely admit to a lack of chemistry knowledge, so I could also be missing some important information with the specific chemical forms in use.

By the way, wholeheartedly agree about the NLS pellets, live foods/macros, etc.

Why?, the chemical additives, well thats humans for you. The same in human nutrition people take chemical supplements because it's kind of like a placebo, they do not work. Even though chemically they are same, the human body knows the difference, and they also need supporting elements which are absent in a non-natural form. If you do take supplements,, and I do,, they must be from natural sources,, and you must include supporting elements,, that's where superfoods come in and are so important. Humans also don't want to commit to feeding a fresh, natural diet, I do. Many of my post fall on deaf ears.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?, the chemical additives, well thats humans for you. The same in human nutrition people take chemical supplements because it's kind of like a placebo, they do not work. Even though chemically they are same, the human body knows the difference, and they also need supporting elements which are absent in a non-natural form. If you do take supplements,, and I do,, they must be from natural sources,, and you must include supporting elements,, that's where superfoods come in and are so important. Humans also don't want to commit to feeding a fresh, natural diet, I do. Many of my post fall on deaf ears.

Now it makes sense on why my mom's calcium supplements say they are sourced from (snail shells or cuttlefish bone)

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm personally a bit hesitant with that one - looks like it's relatively low protein and very low fat. Personally, I'd try to find one that's got more protein (I typically suggest 50% or more protein by dry weight) and a bit more fat (I typically suggest ~10-15% fat by dry weight, with 13% or 14% being my preference at this point).

Granted those suggestions are for regular, non-predator fish, so the values wanted may vary from those numbers slightly, but I wouldn't expect them to very too much (maybe slight less fat and slightly higher protein or something).

What about the algae wafer you're using? Any pics of it and its ingredients and guaranteed analysis?
I just found one but it has the main component of a grasshopper which I don't think marine fishes get in the wild so heres the ingredients and picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-14-13-06-24-244_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-14-13-06-24-244_com.android.chrome.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 15

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found one but it has the main component of a grasshopper which I don't think marine fishes get in the wild so heres the ingredients and picture
Yeah, I'd probably hesitate to feed that to a marine fish, but it might tempt me for things like archerfish.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'd probably hesitate to feed that to a marine fish, but it might tempt me for things like archerfish.
I thought of getting hikari marine s, what do you think? I first thought of getting hikari extreme seaweed but that doesn't contain enough protein unlike the one hikari marine s contains, i would say the marine s has more better ingredients i was also planning to get some freeze dried mysis since i am soon gonna get some butterfly's and tangs, can i feed them roasted seaweed? I also had thought of getting freeze dried plankton

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I don't think I am gonna be getting archer fish anytime soon Lol, i don't have a serparate tank for em, in my case it's more like I have more aquariums than stands to keep them on Lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of getting hikari marine s, what do you think? I first thought of getting hikari extreme seaweed but that doesn't contain enough protein unlike the one hikari marine s contains, i would say the marine s has more better ingredients i was also planning to get some freeze dried mysis since i am soon gonna get some butterfly's and tangs, can i feed them roasted seaweed? I also had thought of getting freeze dried plankton
Looks like a decent option - I'd supplement it with a food that's high in Vitamin B1 (Thiamin/Thiamine) and a more fatty food as well though (the dry matter fat would be ~9%, so it's a bit low).

You can feed them roasted seaweed, yes (nori is the popular option here in the US) - there's some debate over if the nutrition is lost by roasting vs sun-drying the seaweed; to my knowledge, it would be relatively small difference either way, but I haven't looked into it in depth yet. That said, the more macroalgae (seaweed) species you can offer them the better.

Again, freeze-dried mysis and seaweeds cover a lot of nutritional bases, but that would be very low in fat - I'd recommend supplementing with a higher fat food.

Some butterflyfish struggle to adjust to aquarium feedings - if you need help/suggestions on getting them to eat, feel free to ask.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a decent option - I'd supplement it with a food that's high in Vitamin B1 (Thiamin/Thiamine) and a more fatty food as well though (the dry matter fat would be ~9%, so it's a bit low).

You can feed them roasted seaweed, yes (nori is the popular option here in the US) - there's some debate over if the nutrition is lost by roasting vs sun-drying the seaweed; to my knowledge, it would be relatively small difference either way, but I haven't looked into it in depth yet. That said, the more macroalgae (seaweed) species you can offer them the better.

Again, freeze-dried mysis and seaweeds cover a lot of nutritional bases, but that would be very low in fat - I'd recommend supplementing with a higher fat food.

Some butterflyfish struggle to adjust to aquarium feedings - if you need help/suggestions on getting them to eat, feel free to ask.
Thank you so much!

As for the oil content I might just give them supplemental feedings of mackerel which I believe is high in fatty oil's

Incase if nori is a bit less on nutrient's I might just soak the marine s pellets on multivitamin's so that might solve the problem

I am gonna be buying Nori sheets which are no branded for fish is that alright? And would salted or unsalted make a difference?

For my upcoming tank which is about 57x24x24 i thought of keeping these butterfly's together so incase I need to change it up in anyways please do correct me

New fish i am going to add:
Lined butterfly
Threadfin butterfly
Sailfin tang
Lion fish (might change my mind)
Greasy grouper (might change my mind since it grows about 2 feet but I do have a 210 gallons and i heard that the groupers a slow grower)

Fish which i am gonna add/have
Fine spotted eel
Hermit crabs and purse crabs

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!

As for the oil content I might just give them supplemental feedings of mackerel which I believe is high in fatty oil's

Incase if nori is a bit less on nutrient's I might just soak the marine s pellets on multivitamin's so that might solve the problem

I am gonna be buying Nori sheets which are no branded for fish is that alright? And would salted or unsalted make a difference?

For my upcoming tank which is about 57x24x24 i thought of keeping these butterfly's together so incase I need to change it up in anyways please do correct me

New fish i am going to add:
Lined butterfly
Threadfin butterfly
Sailfin tang
Lion fish (might change my mind)
Greasy grouper (might change my mind since it grows about 2 feet but I do have a 210 gallons and i heard that the groupers a slow grower)

Fish which i am gonna add/have
Fine spotted eel
Hermit crabs and purse crabs
I don't think the butterflyfish will have any issues with each other, but the tang may be one to keep an eye on with them (depending on the personality of the tang) - it should be fine, but some tangs can be pretty mean/aggressive.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the butterflyfish will have any issues with each other, but the tang may be one to keep an eye on with them (depending on the personality of the tang) - it should be fine, but some tangs can be pretty mean/aggressive.
Thank you! I might add the tang, last, to avoid agression, incase if i get the grouper or lionfish I think they might be okay being added after the sailfin tang?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I might add the tang, last, to avoid agression, incase if i get the grouper or lionfish I think they might be okay being added after the sailfin tang?
Probably (though lion king would definitely be better for answering that question) - if the tang gives you problems, though, there are things you can do to try and mitigate that:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back