Mild fangtooth eels info and types

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, happy new year, installed a pipe system in with my Tessy and thought of giving my fine spotted moray (gymnothorax dovii) another try together with the tessalata (tess and fine spotted had a face off and Tess tried to bite him again making my fine spotted moray jump of the aquarium) well that was quite something, really disappointed I don't know if it's my Tessy which is just too aggressive or just doesn't like my fine spotted moray because I've seen literally smaller zebra moray eels kept with a tessalata

I guess I've gotta make a separate tank for my fine spotted eel (he's doing really good, doesn't seem to have gotten hurt when my Tess tried to bite him again, he got even more colourful than the first time I got him)

So I just wanna know some mild mannered fangtooths I could keep with my fine spotted moray (mid sized fang tooths) big ones would be fine aswell

Or maybe any other aggressive morays which can give my Tess a run for his money if he tries messing with them (he needs to be taught a lesson) haha I am kidding, I've only seen giant morays going with the tess and a green moray

My Tessy still hasn't found the pipe Lol

I am also gonna be getting a blue line grouper tomorrow, I think he's big enough for the eel to not eat him

IMG_20240101_192918.jpg IMG_20240101_194331.jpg

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for your information, over time the tessa usually ends up alone, while most success tends to be short lived. Short lived can even mean a year, a well cared for tessa will live into the high teens. I keep my tessa alone in a 210g, which is arguably too small of a tank. I consider a trio of triggers, as some of these seem to handle the tessa well. A friend has a tessa in a 750g and they will go hunting from time to time even in a tank that big, and specifically he has lost a blue line grouper, along with other groupers, as groupers can be successful tank mates for "other" fang tooths. Size does not matter to a fang tooth when one has a soft belly. This is not an absolute hobby, just mentioning it. But don't be surprised by the tessa being a murderer, that is more in their nature, than not. The dynamics of how some may get success has many variables; the sex and perceived threat can be some. If that tessa is a male it will be more likely not to share a tank, if the other eel is perceived as threat, possibly also being a male, then this would never work. And as I mentioned earlier, any success I have heard of with the tessa cohabitating has been in very large tanks, and even then losses do occur, the hobbyist just usually shies away to from admitting it.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for your information, over time the tessa usually ends up alone, while most success tends to be short lived. Short lived can even mean a year, a well cared for tessa will live into the high teens. I keep my tessa alone in a 210g, which is arguably too small of a tank. I consider a trio of triggers, as some of these seem to handle the tessa well. A friend has a tessa in a 750g and they will go hunting from time to time even in a tank that big, and specifically he has lost a blue line grouper, along with other groupers, as groupers can be successful tank mates for "other" fang tooths. Size does not matter to a fang tooth when one has a soft belly. This is not an absolute hobby, just mentioning it. But don't be surprised by the tessa being a murderer, that is more in their nature, than not. The dynamics of how some may get success has many variables; the sex and perceived threat can be some. If that tessa is a male it will be more likely not to share a tank, if the other eel is perceived as threat, possibly also being a male, then this would never work. And as I mentioned earlier, any success I have heard of with the tessa cohabitating has been in very large tanks, and even then losses do occur, the hobbyist just usually shies away to from admitting it.
I guess I should've researched more about the tess before buying it but well I feel like I've grown too attached to him, if i most likely ever get a tank mates for it (which I am) gonna buy those who grow for atleast 2ft what do you think? @lion king

I also followed the advice of a youtuber whose channel is "fish diary" it's all about eels, he does have a big tank '1000g' so that would make sense, he has about a tessalata, giant moray, viper moray, zebra moray, Brazilian green moray, carribbean green moray, sharks and some fish so I was really facinated

I planned to make another tank about 150 gallons so any multiple eels I can keep in it?

Thought of stocking it mostly with eels cleaner wrasse maybe some damsels or trigger

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEWARE of youtubers and others that post on media sites bragging about their tanks. How long have you seen this tank in motion, many, and I mean MANY situations are temporary. Even in a 1000g tank, that is nothing compared to the ocean, and mature eels become solitary in the wild, period. As I stated earlier, these eels will live 30 years in the wild, and if cared for well can reach close to 20 years in captivity. Depending on the maturity of collection, many of these eels won't reach maturity for a couple to even 3 years. After that, in the case of fang tooths, it's a 30/70 proposition. So again how long have you watched this tank, pay attention and see if the inhabitants change, they likely do. I'm not specifically commenting on this exact tank, but I have seen many, from well know members that present what I call a "Photo Op Tank", I even wrote a thread about the subject. Most, and mean MOST of these tanks are unrealistic, and are ABSOLUTELY unrealistic to MOST hobbyist. MANY of these tanks last just long enough for the videos and photos, and they change out the dead. While my views are not absolute, and as I state frequently, this hobby is not absolute; I do give an honest assessment of what I have seen in over 30 years. Not just as a hobbyist, but working in many fields in the hobby and as a researcher and supporting many public aquariums, lfs, and individual hobbyist.

EDIT: Depending on the maturity at collection, many of these eels won't reach maturity for a couple to even 3 years. After that, in the case of fang tooths, it's a 30/70 proposition. One year is not a metric.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Tess with my Goldentail for over a year in a 230.

Goldentail is more aggressive and larger for now.

I’ve lost a few wrasse to the eels but all the tank mates are large and aggressive.

I would love to see the images but tiktok is banned where I live (india)

But wow for a eel which only grows to about 2 feet is living with a tess? Never saw that anywhere, how did you introduce them? But I wonder if it's gonna be the same once the tess grows bigger

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEWARE of youtubers and others that post on media sites bragging about their tanks. How long have you seen this tank in motion, many, and I mean MANY situations are temporary. Even in a 1000g tank, that is nothing compared to the ocean, and mature eels become solitary in the wild, period. As I stated earlier, these eels will live 30 years in the wild, and if cared for well can reach close to 20 years in captivity. So again how long have you watched this tank, pay attention and see if the inhabitants change, they likely do. I'm not specifically commenting on this exact tank, but I have seen many, from well know members that present what I call a "Photo Op Tank", I even wrote a thread about the subject. Most, and mean MOST of these tanks are unrealistic, and are ABSOLUTELY unrealistic to MOST hobbyist. MANY of these tanks last just long enough for the videos and photos, and they change out the dead. While my views are not absolute, and as I state frequently, this hobby is not absolute; I do give an honest assessment of what I have seen in over 30 years. Not just as a hobbyist, but working in many fields in the hobby and as a researcher and supporting many public aquariums, lfs, and individual hobbyist.

the tank has been for about a year and they seem to be going good so far, he did say that at the beginning there were conflicts but as time went by it reduced and the eels even eat together peacefully, i don't know for how long this is gonna last but as of now nothing has gone bad 'yet' but not gonna lie seeing that showed me hope that you could actually have multiple eels in the same tank (I also saw a short in the ocean where a Tess with some fimbriated morays and a giant moray were in one rock all together) so that gave me even more hope Lol and yeah so the youtuber bought the eels from another fish keeper on Craigslist (he wanted to get only the tess but the guy from Craigslist said that he's selling 2 eels and would only sell them as a pair, he lied and said that the giant moray was a Japanese kidako moray) so the youtuber bought them both and after some research figured out the 'kidako' was actually a giant moray and have been living with the tess for a long time, he first kept them together in a 270g and then upgraded to a 1000g

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read my edit. Juvenile eels will hang together, and male and females will fair better together. And the ocean is not a glass cage.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see the images but tiktok is banned where I live (india)

But wow for a eel which only grows to about 2 feet is living with a tess? Never saw that anywhere, how did you introduce them? But I wonder if it's gonna be the same once the tess grows bigger

It’s closer to 3 feet. The Tess is about 2 feet but not as thick.

Here’s a screenshot of the goldentail it’s big and mean. From the bottom of the tank to the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.png
    IMG_0194.png
    790.9 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a screenshot of the goldentail it’s big and mean. From the bottom of the tank to the top.
That certainly does give me hope and wow a 3 feet goldentail? Never seen any, I guess it really does depend on the individual

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read my edit. Juvenile eels will hang together, and male and females will fair better together. And the ocean is not a glass cage.
Welp, there goes my 210g for the tess haha, well I do like big houses so I can definitely relate to that little sqeaker, he's one tough cookie, I removed him out to put in the pipe system and i forgot that I fed him some big fish yesterday so he gagged em all out (thought he would go on a hunger strike) but the moment I put him back in the tank he was looking at me for food (thought of sacrificing my whole tank just for him Lol but who knows I don't think i mind, he is one beautiful guy

Is there a way to sex morays without getting bitten or is it even possible? Lol

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely see my eels close to each other. Last time was a few months ago and the Tess bit the Goldentail.

Was there any damage done? Oh my! I just saw my eel getting out of the pipes (atleast i now know it wasn't a waste) it's so cool!

IMG_20240101_234838.jpg

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, there goes my 210g for the tess haha, well I do like big houses so I can definitely relate to that little sqeaker, he's one tough cookie, I removed him out to put in the pipe system and i forgot that I fed him some big fish yesterday so he gagged em all out (thought he would go on a hunger strike) but the moment I put him back in the tank he was looking at me for food (thought of sacrificing my whole tank just for him Lol but who knows I don't think i mind, he is one beautiful guy

Is there a way to sex morays without getting bitten or is it even possible? Lol

There is no visual way that I know of to sex eels, and males will be inherently more aggressive than females. That 30/70 success predictions of keeping fang tooth eels successfully, is based on a few inputs. Success for me also does include, no murders. These inputs are 1st, tank size, the larger the better. 2nd, choosing the proper tank mates. 3rd, is just the luck of the drawn, as males will be more aggressive than females.

Don't fall under the myth of "well fed". To successfully keep eels long term, you must allow them their fasting time. Read some of my threads on eels in you don't understand this necessity. If you feed them too often they will fall to a premature death.

Good looking tank with good choices of tank mates. Again 1 year is not a metric when speaking of fang tooth eels, or most predators for that matter. If the goldentail is close to 3', they are fully mature and wouldn't get that big if raised in captivity. So that matters alot, in the level of their current aggression, and the handling of the tessa, at the moment. Goldentails are one of the mildest fang tooths, and many have success with these in community tanks. The tessa at their current size is a baby, a juvenile; check back in a year or two when they are around 4'.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no visual way that I know of to sex eels, and males will be inherently more aggressive than females. That 30/70 success predictions of keeping fang tooth eels successfully, is based on a few inputs. Success for me also does include, no murders. These inputs are 1st, tank size, the larger the better. 2nd, choosing the proper tank mates. 3rd, is just the luck of the drawn, as males will be more aggressive than females.

Don't fall under the myth of "well fed". To successfully keep eels long term, you must allow them their fasting time. Read some of my threads on eels in you don't understand this necessity. If you feed them too often they will fall to a premature death.
Absolutely! I feed him about every 2 days is that considered a lot? I also make sure to not feed him belly full (only did it at 12am since it was a new year Lol) Before he used to eat every 4 to 5 days but since adding activated carbon he started eating more sooner, the more i researched about it said that eels slime coat contains toxins and in an aquarium without doing a lot of water changes those toxins accumulate (but I guess i won't be called rude if I called him a he now Lol)

Well, my eel did do a murder sadly it was a bird nose wrasse (thought she was big enough and fast) my eel most likely got him when she was sleeping I figured out too late that she was in the bite size order the moment I started feeding him mackerel Lol

Last edited:

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any damage done? Oh my! I just saw my eel getting out of the pipes (atleast i now know it wasn't a waste) it's so cool!

No damage, they really avoid each other well.

Good looking tank with good choices of tank mates. Again 1 year is not a metric when speaking of fang tooth eels, or most predators for that matter. If the goldentail is close to 3', they are fully mature and wouldn't get that big if raised in captivity. So that matters alot, in the level of their current aggression, and the handling of the tessa, at the moment. Goldentails are one of the mildest fang tooths, and many have success with these in community tanks. The tessa at their current size is a baby, a juvenile; check back in a year or two when they are around 4'.

Thanks! I don’t put my hands in the tank anymore I’ve been bit a few times now…haha.

If the Tess took out any of my current stock he’d be on his way to the LFS.

I was shocked that the goldentail has continued to grow. I even called the store to make sure it was a goldentail. Each has grown about a foot over the course of the year.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! I feed him about every 2 days is that considered a lot? I also make sure to not feed him belly full (only did it at 12am since it was a new year Lol) Before he used to eat every 4 to 5 days but since adding activated carbon he started eating more sooner, the more i researched about it said that eels slime coat contains toxins and in an aquarium without doing a lot of water changes those toxins accumulate (but I guess i won't be called rude if I called him a he now Lol)

Well, my eel did do a murder sadly it was a bird nose wrasse (thought she was big enough and fast) my eel most likely got him when she was sleeping I figured out too late that she was in the bite size order the moment I started feeding him mackerel Lol

A tessa that size is likely going to do well to be fed every 3-5 days and eventually something like once a week.

No damage, they really avoid each other well.

Thanks! I don’t put my hands in the tank anymore I’ve been bit a few times now…haha.

If the Tess took out any of my current stock he’d be on his way to the LFS.

I was shocked that the goldentail has continued to grow. I even called the store to make sure it was a goldentail. Each has grown about a foot over the course of the year.

Just a heads up for anyone reading this thread that may be interested in getting a tessa. Finding a lfs that will take one in will be a VERY HARD find. Lfs will even tell you before you buy it, "on yeah, we will take it back". Then if the time comes, they will not, there is no place they could sell a mature tessa, there simply is not a market for that, and they are in the business of selling fish. I have known people euthanize them just because they made a mistake, then don't want to live up their commitment, and could not find anywhere to rehome them. I am a realist, and sorry(not sorry) if I offend.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope my eel doesn't hate me for feeding him a bit more later now haha but yeah the more later I feed him the more aggressive he is at feeding so that might be a good thing

As for keeping a Tessa for about 8-9 months now, i can understand what you're saying, almost everything you wanna put in your tank you just don't have the freedom to do so (I think twice before putting anything in the tank) though besides that blue line grouper was a instant buy since they had only one left in stock and it's quite a bit uncommon here Lol

But yeah for those of you who want a Tessa (unless you have like a whole gallery of aquariums please do reconsider) you really don't have the freedom to put in any fish you want (unless you have a big enough tank to put in sharks and well over 2-3 feet fish/ predators the bigger the fish the more unlikely of them to be eaten

I might aswell just get a new big enough tank to keep the smaller species of morays together, I think that would work better right? I guess I will find out sooner or later, nothing beats experience

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope my eel doesn't hate me for feeding him a bit more later now haha but yeah the more later I feed him the more aggressive he is at feeding so that might be a good thing

As for keeping a Tessa for about 8-9 months now, i can understand what you're saying, almost everything you wanna put in your tank you just don't have the freedom to do so (I think twice before putting anything in the tank) though besides that blue line grouper was a instant buy since they had only one left in stock and it's quite a bit uncommon here Lol

But yeah for those of you who want a Tessa (unless you have like a whole gallery of aquariums please do reconsider) you really don't have the freedom to put in any fish you want (unless you have a big enough tank to put in sharks and well over 2-3 feet fish/ predators the bigger the fish the more unlikely of them to be eaten

I might aswell just get a new big enough tank to keep the smaller species of morays together, I think that would work better right? I guess I will find out sooner or later, nothing beats experience

Feed them their full on feeding day. As long as you are not feeding really large pieces there will be little chance of overfeeding. They will just refuse when full.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them their full on feeding day. As long as you are not feeding really large pieces there will be little chance of overfeeding. They will just refuse when full.
I'll try since i once tried to do the same diet on him and I wanted to feed him his full but he just kept eating and later on just gagged out the food so he's either one heck of a nutjob or I should've been more careful Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back