View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely thinking you have something other than a Stout
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_e.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-02-14-04-23.png
Oh, why do you think that? Well i don't know why you think it's a different species than a stout but incase if it is a different species I would like to know it's exact species aswell as its full size potential.

The image shown on Google for this exact species is called a stout moray eel so unless you are saying Google is wrong which there is a chance for here's a pic on google

Screenshot_2023-12-26-15-34-47-048_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely thinking you have something other than a Stout
imagejpeg_2.jpg
imagejpeg_e.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-02-14-04-23.png
The image on Google may not look a 100% accurate but there is ofcourse variations in species but I am fairly confident that it's a stout moray incase if you are saying that the size of that moray in those pics are quite large, you can make even an ant look like a monster if taken from a really close angle.

I have also confirmed that it's from the Indian Ocean according to my lfs, unless it's not native from there but I have seen quite a fair amount of them being distributed in the lfs and they all come from the Indian Ocean, there might be a slight chance of it being a new species but it just seems really unlikely.

Alpha_The_Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since getting into the hobby like anything else you have to fight alot of misinformation however there isn't a particular area of knowledge that I know of that is more convulted with false information that eels.
Even fish stores and distributors misname species often I find.

Knowing better and googliing a species only to find results that show an entirely different species has made me an expert and a skeptic.

I took a look at the Stout species but I'm still unsure, even with the variations in spots and color. Mainly the yellowing of the head, uniformity of the spots, and the eye color which I believe is static.

Still not sure and looking into it.
Strangely enough he really matches closely to a juvenile yellow mouth

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231226_070037_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231226_070037_Chrome.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since getting into the hobby like anything else you have to fight alot of misinformation however there isn't a particular area of knowledge that I know of that is more convulted with false information that eels.
Even fish stores and distributors misname species often I find.

Knowing better and googliing a species only to find results that show an entirely different species has made me an expert and a skeptic.

I took a look at the Stout species but I'm still unsure, even with the variations in spots and color. Mainly the yellowing of the head, uniformity of the spots, and the eye color which I believe is static.

Still not sure and looking into it.
Strangely enough he really matches closely to a juvenile yellow mouth
The spot's do look a bit more related but I think the head shape just don't quite match here are some pics and a vid (sorry for the background noise) as for the name given to me by the lfs, they call it a (yellow head spotted moray) I think they just named it according to its appearance I took the eel in since i found its pattern unique even if I didn't know it's exact species thinking that incase if he did grow big he would go in with my tessalata but with the fight with the tess I am in quite some trouble because I currently only have my 40 gallon, if he's a gymnothrax 'erostus' he might be well in my 40 gallon for quite some time

1703597704605.jpg 1703597704641.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20231226_191807.mp4
    16.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gymnothorax dovii

Finespotted moray
1703624138742.png
I see that looks like your final verdict and I feel like you are absolutely right, if that's the moray eel then that's one ****** looking moray and I feel like once it grows bigger I can keep it with my tessalata so I am kind of relieved but at the same time I hope it grows faster than my Tessy thanks so much for taking your time in sharing your knowledge and suspicions

This eel looks so so similar, it would've probably told me by time that this would be a different species when it starts growing more than 2 feet but now I can prepare thanks to you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-27-09-53-39-125_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-27-09-53-39-125_com.android.chrome.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 19

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back