How do I properly feed a BTA?

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a BTA for about a month or two and had two incidents where the anem would be small, have thin tentacles, and have its mouth open. After some research i came to the conclusion that he was either really hungry or starving, so I gave him ReefRoids. Just so this incident doesn't happen again (or something worse) what do I feed the anemone and how many times a week do I feed him (I watched som videos about BTA's and the guy said to feed them 2x per week and that he feeds small pieces of frozen shrimp to the anem)?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First of all, are you sure it’s not due to your lighting or water parameters?

I feed my anemones once a week with a small piece of raw shrimp. You can choose not to feed at all since it’s not required.

OP
OP
IE Reefer

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Current USA Orbit LED's running on my 29g w/ a ~8g sump, I've been having trouble with my Nitrates for about 3 months (10-20) but nothing has died yet (corals/fish/invertebrates). In my refuge I have chaeto with lights running for 8hrs, opposite to my DT light schedule, but the cheato hasn't brought down the level yet.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 BTAs. Started with one that split, and then one of the kids split again. I do feed them once every couple of weeks. I take a frozen shrimp and cut it up into pieces. I feed one thawed piece of raw shrimp, about the size of pea. They do fine.

I don't think your nitrates are high. I've had one tank that was giving me issues that pushed 80 nitrates. No fish died, but some coral looked upset. I have a fuge in that tank as well. When the nitrates were super high, the chaeto shrunk to nothing. Once lowered to approx 30 nitrates, the chaeto came back.

WAter changes helped me get the nitrates lowered. Then nopox dosing helped me keep it in check. Still have the fuge.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed mine when I'm bored. Some times once a week sometimes once every couple of months some times maybe once a year. They don't actually need to be fed ever if you have good parameters and sufficient lighting and if you don't have those two things feedings aren't going to help them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back