How do I remove some of these xenia coral

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I think this is called the pulsing xenia coral. And it has grown way too much. My tank is tall so my question is can I just cut some of them off or do I have to cute at the base?

image.jpg image.jpg

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just pull the base off

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tissue remaining on the rocks will likely grow back.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take entire rock out and scrap it completely off. Like said above if any is left it will grow back.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zenia grows from a mat at the bottom, you can usually get a fingernail under the edge, and start to strip it back. Don't be afraid to pull out too much this way... you could pull the entire colony, it'll grow back, no worries. Any small bits left behind will be another colony in no time.

Never again.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And dont be afraid if it rips or tears... they are hardy... a little bit too hardy. Lol
What I used to do is to cut the stalks off first as close to the bottom as possible, let it sit a day, and then peel off the remaining tissue. I do this cuz the xenia gets slimy and the bush heads get in the way when trying to peel.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Anthelia to me, which for me was harder to deal with than xenia, cut it, peel it and siphon out any loose pieces.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a piece of xenia from my lfs. The size of my thumb nail. A month now and it's over 5x the size. Luckily I placed it on a separate piece of rock away from the main rock work. Did not they grow o so fast. Don't want them encroaching other coral or expanding like crazy.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a piece of xenia from my lfs. The size of my thumb nail. A month now and it's over 5x the size. Luckily I placed it on a separate piece of rock away from the main rock work. Did not they grow o so fast. Don't want them encroaching other coral or expanding like crazy.

I hear everyone say this but I'm out here with xenia that has been in my tank for 3 months and hasnt grown at all yet my duncan is up to 13 heads LOL

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much everyone!!!! I will remove some this weekend during my w/c!

U

User1

View Badges
If you choose to scrub in the tank it will spread worse. This is for sure.

If you want to manage in the tank then use forcep/clamps if you have. Use your hand to pester them, they will ball up, use the clamp and get it as close to the rock as possible. Clamp, gently pull away. Place in a cup of water. Once you clear it all out use some epoxy putty that you would use to glue frags and cover anything that you thinkj may grow back.

Works on Xenia, Kenya trees, and other similar corals. Not my idea - I borrowed this from someone else and it works well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back