how do I reprime my return setup?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
help. how do I restart/ prime my return system if I have to remove the return pump for service? the return pump is a magnetic drive so it does not create suction?
here's what i have. the chk valve keeps the line primed if I have to kill/lose power, but pump removal is a different story.

Capture2.JPG

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have come up with a solution. I am going to put a PVC tee in just below the first elbow coming out of the sump,( this tee will be in the sump above the water level, then reduce it down to say 1/4-1/2", then install a shark bite turn valve with a long enough piece of tubing to ensure it stays pointed down into the sump. the plan would be----- when turning off the return for cleaning, I would close the gate valve, then remove the return pump, the gate valve would hold water in the discharge line, then upon reinstalling the pump, I would open this small turn valve, followed by opening the main gate valve, doing this should let gravity fill the line with water from the DT, once water flows out of this small turn valve, I would close it off, doing this should fill the entire return line an allow the pump to restart and start pulling water normally. thoughts it seems like a solid starting point
Capture3.JPG

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back