How do I set up skimmer

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is running well at the moment and I haven’t needed to add a skimmer yet. I got the set up second hand so no instructions on how to set it up. Can anyone help?. This is the tank I have (four compartments at the bank) it’s not my actual tank. And this is the skimmer I have but I don’t know how it works or what goes where.

The tank has an external filter and a return pump , the water intake is in the first compartment and the outtake is in the fourth compartment. Heater is in second compartment.

316AB0A7-0F45-443F-AA8A-2A5AF1462797.jpeg

Last edited:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers need to sit in a certain amount of water. Most are in the 6-8” range. Research yours and if need be they can sit on a stand to get it correct. Once it’s in and making bubbles, you will want to set the bubble level fairly low initially because you need to build up a biofilm on the inside which takes about a week. After that you can adjust it, depending on model, to either have wet foam dribbling over the lip into the cup or drier foam pushing into the bottom of the lid.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set it up and it is bubbling straight away. The only way it fits in the compartment is if the outward pipe has water going back into the return pump compartment is that right?. Here’s a video even tho the light is very blue.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set it up and it is bubbling straight away. The only way it fits in the compartment is if the outward pipe has water going back into the return pump compartment is that right?. Here’s a video even tho the light is very blue.
Looks like it works. Give it a day to get tuned in.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just trying to work it out and this happened so I assume that’s too much air.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just trying to work it out and this happened so I assume that’s too much air.
Turn it back like it was. Lol the foam should just barely push over the the tube. Turn it down and let it go for a day and see what happens. Be patient. :)

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn it back like it was. Lol the foam should just barely push over the the tube. Turn it down and let it go for a day and see what happens. Be patient. :)
Lol I did pretty quick. I’m happy to be patient I just don’t really understand how they work so was just worried if it damaged the tank life in any way

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How they work: oils/proteins/fats have parts of the molecules that avoid water. By introducing lots of fine bubbles, these molecules get stuck to the bubble and lifted to the surface as the bubble rises. In the neck of the skimmer, the some of the water drains from around the bubble and bubbles join together. Eventually, this foam either pops, and the gunk gets stuck to the neck/lid, or it flows over the rim into the collection cup.

If you think about a storm with waves churning, believe me nothing you’re doing with a skimmer is likely to hurt the stuff in the display. There are some situations where turning off the skimmer is bennifical (feedings) or recommended (dosing) but there is a reason behind those times and it’s not because the skimmer is harming anything. It may just be removing something (food, medication) you would rather circulate.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How they work: oils/proteins/fats have parts of the molecules that avoid water. By introducing lots of fine bubbles, these molecules get stuck to the bubble and lifted to the surface as the bubble rises. In the neck of the skimmer, the some of the water drains from around the bubble and bubbles join together. Eventually, this foam either pops, and the gunk gets stuck to the neck/lid, or it flows over the rim into the collection cup.

If you think about a storm with waves churning, believe me nothing you’re doing with a skimmer is likely to hurt the stuff in the display. There are some situations where turning off the skimmer is bennifical (feedings) or recommended (dosing) but there is a reason behind those times and it’s not because the skimmer is harming anything. It may just be removing something (food, medication) you would rather circulate.
That’s a great reply thank you.

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the water line in the skimmer to be an inch or so below the neck of the collection cup. That is, you'll see a distinct line in the body of the skimmer where the bubbles turn from a tiny microbubble filled water to larger bubbles, bring that water line to an inch or two below where the collection cup starts with that dial and then let it run 12-24 hours in between making fine adjustments until it's skimming how you'd like! The skimmer may act up a bit for the first few days or weeks as it has to break in. BRS has some great videos on tuning skimmers that will help you out! I don't really mess with anything other than the drain rate to adjust water level in the body of the skimmer.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I did pretty quick. I’m happy to be patient I just don’t really understand how they work so was just worried if it damaged the tank life in any way
No. You're fine. It looks like it will be a great skimmer for you. It will make your animals happier once you get it tuned in. :)

Back