How do the big companies have such dense phyto?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know what to put for the title. But how can they create/sell such dense phyto? Are they waiting longer to split it? I just started culturing phyto a couple weeks ago and it’s going good, splitting once a week but it’s nothing as dark and dense as they show. And from my reading everyone says not to let it get too dense because then you’re more likely to have a culture crash. I’d love to get that dense phyto as I just started culturing pods and it takes a good cup or two to get the water tinted green like I want it and that won’t be good when they start consuming it rapidly and I overflow the container (1 gal jar)

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know what to put for the title. But how can they create/sell such dense phyto? Are they waiting longer to split it? I just started culturing phyto a couple weeks ago and it’s going good, splitting once a week but it’s nothing as dark and dense as they show. And from my reading everyone says not to let it get too dense because then you’re more likely to have a culture crash. I’d love to get that dense phyto as I just started culturing pods and it takes a good cup or two to get the water tinted green like I want it and that won’t be good when they start consuming it rapidly and I overflow the container (1 gal jar)
Well not that they use them, but they have sieves/filters that will capture the phyto and filter out water.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not that they use them, but they have sieves/filters that will capture the phyto and filter out water.
So they probably just filter it out and pour a heck of a lot of phyto into a smaller amount of water. Interesting I’m gonna look into those sieves

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our new Product OceanMilk is pretty dense! Here is the link to read up more about it :) Hit buy now to get a special deal on CocoPods and OceanMilk!⁣ https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/cocopods-and-oceanmilk-combo/

Cocopods-and-OceanMilk-product-image2-e1617253238784.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres algaebarns ocean magik on top and mercers tetraselmis on the bottom.

You can be the judge whos is denser.

Also,remember you might get one or 2 good culture runs from a blended phyto product like algae barns vs a single phyto strain you can keep going indefinately without it crashing as theres no other strains to compete with.

20201002_160553.jpg

20200925_163055.jpg

Also yea, constant suspension is key. You can use a magnetic stirrer if you wish to replicate it on a small scale.

They make cheaper ones but heres a great visual reference.

Screenshot_20210413-084956_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also,remember you might get one or 2 good culture runs from a blended phyto product like algae barns vs a single phyto strain you can keep going indefinately without it crashing as theres no other strains to compete with.

20201002_160553.jpg 20200925_163055.jpg

nice I have always wanted to try culturing phyto. it's not the list...

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20201002_160553.jpg

20200925_163055.jpg

Also yea, constant suspension is key. You can use a magnetic stirrer if you wish to replicate it on a small scale.

They make cheaper ones but heres a great visual reference.

Screenshot_20210413-084956_Chrome.jpg
I like this... do you still use air along with magnetic stir plate?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Oceanmagik is concentrated to feed tanks with various filter feeders , but it is not developed nor concentrated to the degree of a single species culture, as that does not work well with all the species we grow :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back