How do you acclimate new Corals? (NOT lighting)

How do you acclimate new Corals to your tank? (not lighting)

• Bag Floating Only (Acclimating to Water Temp)

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Add Water by Dripping or Cup Only (acclimating to PH, Salinity, etc.)

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Float & Add Water BOTH

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Just drop the sucker in without acclimation

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other (is there another way?)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering how you all acclimated your new corals, not fish. We'll do another thread for that topic.

Anyway when I first started I always drip acclimated everything, but as I got more experienced I seem to do less and usually just do a temp acclimation and plop it in!

How bout You?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been guilty of checking salinity as well. Like this last Red Plate I got, I checked the salinity.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do temp only mostly, but sometimes depending on the piece or if I buy it local I will drip acclimate....Like this rock of yumas I got local I drip acclimated just because yumas tend to be so sensitive.....

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just temp acclimate and dip them and drop them in..agree on the salinity.i do check that too

Teeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy do I feel like I am over doing it. I do they full treatment. float, 30 minutes of adding a small amount of water every 5 min. and dipping.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimate everything I get in from my wholesalers to make sure they adjust well to my holding tanks and to keep them in the best condition for customers. I have been known to just drop in personal pieces though. Most don't require anything.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the onyl time i do anything is if i paid alot for the coral i do it just to make myself feel better. for the most poart though i just dump it in. i find that corals are ALOT tuffer then some people make them out to be. If you got the coral from a good source chances are your tank condition are very close to the source and wont have much of a effect if any on the coral other then maybe taking a bit longer to fully open. the longer i am in this business the more i realize how tuff these things really are if you have a proper set up

with that said however i would never instruct a customer to follow this practice due to the risk involved.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the onyl time i do anything is if i paid alot for the coral i do it just to make myself feel better. for the most poart though i just dump it in. i find that corals are ALOT tuffer then some people make them out to be. If you got the coral from a good source chances are your tank condition are very close to the source and wont have much of a effect if any on the coral other then maybe taking a bit longer to fully open. the longer i am in this business the more i realize how tuff these things really are if you have a proper set up

with that said however i would never instruct a customer to follow this practice due to the risk involved.

Definitely. Figure most of these things are photosynthetic, haven't seen light for about a day, and have been sitting in a bag of their own waste. They're pretty darn tough. But yeah, I'd never tell a customer to just drop it in either. I do find that SPS and tough shippers like Rhodactis mushrooms certainly benefit from a good acclimation.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get new frags (all from locals) I float the bag to equilibrate the temperature. Then I dip them in TMPCC before putting them in the tank.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float in some cycled water for temp acclimationm, then dump them in with a heater and ph and some Interceptor. The next day (after work) I pull them from the INterceptor bath and put them in more cycled water from the same tank (after breaking them off the bases). Depending on what it is, it gets a TMPCC dip before going into the final QT tank right then (day two). Otherwise, it'll sit in a makeshift 10 gallon until it looks like another dip won't hurt it (getting water changes as needed from the display). Single pieces are a little easier to do since I can look them over better before going cross eyed. They all usually get a pretty harsh treatment with the dips right after shipping, but I'm paranoid. If it looks stressed, I give it a few days to start looking better before doing the above and putting it in with other QT'd corals. Paranoia. Big destroya.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only worry about temp because im going to dip them after they are the right temp and if its zoos theres no need to check salinity because i freshwater dip every zoo that goes into my tank

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do temp and plop
no dips or anything, maybe i should start dipping again though
when i look at my tank now all i see is green...and if something happens, its not gunna be fun!

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
add water a little at a time from a cup, let coral acclimate for an hour, 6hr interceptor dip, 10 min fluke tab dip,wash off with tank water then mount.

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
float to temp......then appropriate dips for whatever corals they are and then into qt for a couple of weeks.

The only time I will do more than temp acclimation is if the sg is more than 3 points lower in the water they are coming from...which hasnt happened in a while...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back