How do you acclimate new Corals? (NOT lighting)

How do you acclimate new Corals to your tank? (not lighting)

• Bag Floating Only (Acclimating to Water Temp)

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Add Water by Dripping or Cup Only (acclimating to PH, Salinity, etc.)

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Float & Add Water BOTH

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Just drop the sucker in without acclimation

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other (is there another way?)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I float and slowly add more water. I ussually add a couple of drops of oomed to the water. I do not dip now that I have another tank set up to put the corals in for a while....

Dave

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI on those people who drip or do the cup in cup out thing.............

any ammonia present doesnt become toxic until you open the bag, offgas teh CO2 and introduce oxygen...... So if you for some reason have a frag in especially nasty water and choose to drip acclimate it.............you are certainly not helping its chances.....you are torturing it and burning i with ammonia. Drip acclimation really only makes sense if the salinity is really low in the shipping water to avoid osmotic shock....other than that get those poor animals out of that water they shipped in.........

just soemthing to think about

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FYI on those people who drip or do the cup in cup out thing.............

any ammonia present doesnt become toxic until you open the bag, offgas teh CO2 and introduce oxygen...... So if you for some reason have a frag in especially nasty water and choose to drip acclimate it.............you are certainly not helping its chances.....you are torturing it and burning i with ammonia. Drip acclimation really only makes sense if the salinity is really low in the shipping water to avoid osmotic shock....other than that get those poor animals out of that water they shipped in.........

just soemthing to think about

There really should not be ammonia present with corals unless it is dieing... Shipping fish yes there would be. With fish I always add a couple of drops of a ammonia removing product before shipping or once I receive a fish. Also how toxic is ammonia to corals and in what concentration does it become toxic is a very good question? It is to fish because it burns thier gills but corals can actually utilize ammonia. I would guess it depends how high it is...

Dave

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any waste the coral produces incuding slime can produce ammonia. if the water is clean and perfect then it of course doesnt matter so much....but if you receive a coral in nasty water the last thing you want to do is drip acclimate it

fly guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oopd...double post.......

I forgot to mention one step in my sps acclimation i think is important....

slime acclimation......after floating to temp instead of dropping immediately in the tank....I let it sit out in open air to slime up a bit in open air for a minute or two........let it protect itself and give the coral soem time to adjust on its own

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any waste the coral produces incuding slime can produce ammonia.

True. If the coral is tansit a short time this should also not be a problem with ammonia because most stuff does not turn to ammonia right away, it does take some time to break down. Those that ship zoas usps priority which could take 1 to 3 days this could become a real risk.

if the water is clean and perfect then it of course doesnt matter so much....but if you receive a coral in nasty water the last thing you want to do is drip acclimate it

I would guess if the water is nasty a product like ammonia lock might help... I have drip acclimmated every coral I have gotten over 20 years and have not had a many losses at all except from a coral that was doomed already.

I wonder if it would be advantageous to add add some to the bag before shipping like we do with fish...

Gooch you out there. you have shipped tons of corals?

Dave

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slime acclimation......after floating to temp instead of dropping immediately in the tank....I let it sit out in open air to slime up a bit in open air for a minute or two........let it protect itself and give the coral soem time to adjust on its own

Ahh yes-this works really well, I forgot to mention it also-

tbaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on a lot of factors. How long it has been in transit. The quality of the supplier, etc. I acclimate mainly temp.

I think lighting acclimation is a much larger concern.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just take it out of the bag and drop it in the tank. I have over 200 pieces and do not remember the last time I lost a new piece. My loss rate is less than one percent.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From this, it seems that the vast majority of people don't QT incoming corals. Is that the case, or is it that (collective) you drop into a QT?

Chong

The Chronic Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually i float the bag in the sump for about 10 mins then drip accimilate till the water is 50/50 water from bag and water and from the display.

Zoalover34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i get new frags i just float them so they get to the same temp and dump em in lol.. ive never had any problems with redbugs or flatworms so ive never really dipped em in anything.. So far i haven't lost anything due to lack of acclimating them or whatever

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fresh water dip them first hten i use this stuff, i forget the name but never had any problems! i also have lots of interceptor in the house bc my step sister is a vet :)

Back