How do you acclimate your corals?

How do you acclimate your corals?

• Drip acclimate (slow)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Drip acclimate (fast)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Float in tank and throw in after (temp acclimate)

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Just pop them in (no temp or drip acclimate)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

CoralBaskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title asks, how do you acclimate your corals before going into the tank? There are many different opinions on this one, I just want to get a consensus on everyone’s (you’re all experts) take. I’ve always slow drip acclimate, but by the time it’s done, the water temperature is completely different. What do you do? Just pop it in? Or shake it all about and do the hokey pokey? Serious question here.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the coral. All coral I just throw in willy nilly after temp. acclimate. The way corals work is they suck in water so their salt is equal to the salt in the water (remember osmosis from biology?) so if the salinity changes, they spit out all the water and suck new water in, so they rebalance themselves. Drip acclimating means the salinity is constantly changing, which means that coral is doing the spit/take in thing a billion times trying to balance itself out and this stresses the coral. Zoas, palys, SPS, LPS, whatever, I always temp acclimate and throw them in. Anemones I temp acclimate then do a fast drip, slower if they show stress. These are more ‘animal’ than corals are (even though they’re animals too) so they have to be treated more like fish. Nems usually take a 10 minute ‘drip’ (I add a shot glass of water every minute or so) then I check the salinity, if it’s within .02 of my tank then it’s good to go. I do not drip if it’s already in that range. Clams I treat exactly like a fish, long temp acclimation then a super long drip cycle (like 45 minutes to an hour). That’s it! Sorry for the long post. Good luck with your acclimations! :)

OP
OP
C

CoralBaskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the coral. All coral I just throw in willy nilly after temp. acclimate. The way corals work is they suck in water so their salt is equal to the salt in the water (remember osmosis from biology?) so if the salinity changes, they spit out all the water and suck new water in, so they rebalance themselves. Drip acclimating means the salinity is constantly changing, which means that coral is doing the spit/take in thing a billion times trying to balance itself out and this stresses the coral. Zoas, palys, SPS, LPS, whatever, I always temp acclimate and throw them in. Anemones I temp acclimate then do a fast drip, slower if they show stress. These are more ‘animal’ than corals are (even though they’re animals too) so they have to be treated more like fish. Nems usually take a 10 minute ‘drip’ (I add a shot glass of water every minute or so) then I check the salinity, if it’s within .02 of my tank then it’s good to go. I do not drip if it’s already in that range. Clams I treat exactly like a fish, long temp acclimation then a super long drip cycle (like 45 minutes to an hour). That’s it! Sorry for the long post. Good luck with your acclimations! :)

I’ve taken some courses in marine bio few years back. I haven’t actually thought of corals and osmosis. Thank you. My guess is if osmosis is occurring (which should be May a constant considering the permeable membrane of the corals) then they should be acclimating slowly as the salinity is rising or dropping. But like a lot of youtube videos I find, they’re like you in that they just temp acclimate and throw them in. Thanks for the info it is very helpful!

OP
OP
C

CoralBaskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the drip acclimate method in the beginning! Then saw a lot of experienced people recommend temp acclimate by float, dip them and throw in. Started following that and did not have any problems.
That’s very good to know. I like to hear experiences like yours. Years back (10+) the recommended method was drip acclimate. I’m just coming back to the hobby recently and Ive been seeing that method of temp acclimate and pop them in. It’s a total shock to me because I thought corals were supposed to be super sensitive.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve taken some courses in marine bio few years back. I haven’t actually thought of corals and osmosis. Thank you. My guess is if osmosis is occurring (which should be May a constant considering the permeable membrane of the corals) then they should be acclimating slowly as the salinity is rising or dropping. But like a lot of youtube videos I find, they’re like you in that they just temp acclimate and throw them in. Thanks for the info it is very helpful!
Yeah, the corals are constantly drawing water in and out due to their permeable membranes, as you stated. However, the stressing part is when coral has to exert energy to force the water out (using ATP and active transport of some kind I suppose) over and over again due to changes in salinity as well as other differences in the tank such as micro particles and trace elements. I’m glad someone else is into marine biology!

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very good to know. I like to hear experiences like yours. Years back (10+) the recommended method was drip acclimate. I’m just coming back to the hobby recently and Ive been seeing that method of temp acclimate and pop them in. It’s a total shock to me because I thought corals were supposed to be super sensitive.
They are definitely sensitive, but tech has gotten a lot better as well. Remember 10-20 years ago when xenia was only a wistful dream? And now I can’t get rid of it fast enough! Even before that when corals were a fantasy and FOWLR was the only salt water you could even attempt to keep? Those were the days when one paycheck could stock a 20 gallon tank . I’m actually the guy who first started importing indo SPS into the Houston area for a (since closed) store called Fish Ranch. A lot has changed since then but the passion of the people has not! I’m glad so many people are in this amazing community and we can all help each other learn and grow as reefers :)

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always acclimated the same as I do fish. Float for temp and drip in some water every five minutes for 30 to 60 minutes. Unlike my last one, i floated a Tupperware container, I turned around and it capsized. To the bottom it went, lol it was a 6 headed frogspawn

OP
OP
C

CoralBaskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely sensitive, but tech has gotten a lot better as well. Remember 10-20 years ago when xenia was only a wistful dream? And now I can’t get rid of it fast enough! Even before that when corals were a fantasy and FOWLR was the only salt water you could even attempt to keep? Those were the days when one paycheck could stock a 20 gallon tank . I’m actually the guy who first started importing indo SPS into the Houston area for a (since closed) store called Fish Ranch. A lot has changed since then but the passion of the people has not! I’m glad so many people are in this amazing community and we can all help each other learn and grow as reefers :)
I was never able to keep Xenia alive for some reason back then. Bought 2 stalks at 2 separate times and placed them under both metal halide and power compacts.. both dwindled away within weeks lol. Wow that is a nice job to have. You definitely had first dibs on the corals coming in!

OP
OP
C

CoralBaskin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always acclimated the same as I do fish. Float for temp and drip in some water every five minutes for 30 to 60 minutes. Unlike my last one, i floated a Tupperware container, I turned around and it capsized. To the bottom it went, lol it was a 6 headed frogspawn
I hope your frogspawn is okay. I’m always weary about dropping euphylias on their head in the sand bed. I lost my hammer that way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back