How do you all clean your salt jugs?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for the peeps that get your Saltwater from your LFS. How and how often do you clean your saltwater jugs? Mine a re looking a little green and the pour spout is to small to fit my had in. I don't use bucket because I have had too many spills in my car ( yes they had lids) and I have too much money tied up in the jugs I have. :flushed-face:

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for the peeps that get your Saltwater from your LFS. How and how often do you clean your saltwater jugs? Mine a re looking a little green and the pour spout is to small to fit my had in. I don't use bucket because I have had too many spills in my car ( yes they had lids) and I have too much money tied up in the jugs I have. :flushed-face:
I use some white 5 gallon buckets and when they get a little brown on the bottom i just take a wet paper towel and wipe it out. Typically i do it like every other month

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some white 5 gallon buckets and when they get a little brown on the bottom i just take a wet paper towel and wipe it out. Typically i do it like every other month
I can't do buckets again. I had 2 spill in my car. The stupid lid popped when it fell. And I have 6 jugs I got from my LFS.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own saltwater but I do keep a 2 gallon jug for dips and overtime it turns brown on the bottom with some spots. I use citric acid let it sit for 30 mins then shake it around and rinse. Works great.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have any good ideas? BTW the jug looks like this
1686339852313.png

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research, wanna see what you all think, citric acid or distilled white vineger? With or without rice or popcirn 'kernals to"scrub" the inside?

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use jugs like this for camping and use bleach or vinigar and a long handle brush. Just rinse it out real well.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the green actually causing any problems?

I've never cleaned mine. They don't look like they need it.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just add a little (50-100ml) swimming pool acid (muriatic acid) to a gallon of tap water into the jugs, let it sit for ten mins and rinse out.

That will dissolve any carbonate or other precipitation.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have any good ideas? BTW the jug looks like this
1686339852313.png
Dump a bunch of citric acid in it and then fill with water. If you have a small enough power head to fit in there turn it on and let it run all night otherwise shake the living hell out of it and let it sit for 12 hrs.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dump a bunch of citric acid in it and then fill with water. If you have a small enough power head to fit in there turn it on and let it run all night otherwise shake the living hell out of it and let it sit for 12 hrs.
How much citric acid foe 5 gal jugs filled with water?

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw about 2-4 scoops, you can get at BRS... If real dirty add little more. I fill mine up in a bath tube over night... Haven't tried the pump, it a good Idea....

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this for now. So I guess about 4 tablespoons for 5 gal or?
20230611_205925.jpg
Dump half the bottle in, I'm assuming that's probably what a 5 gallon water jug you have? If you really want it clean don't be afraid to use half a cup or better. It won't hurt anything. Besides you can also dump it into a pail afterwards and soak other parts in if you like.

I'll use about 1/3 a cup for about 2 l of water, I just let my pumps and stuff like that soak overnight. Brings them out shiny like they were brand new out of the box.. honestly you can't go overboard with citric acid as it's a great cleaner and not so harsh like vinegar.

Last edited:

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell ya how well it cleans Over vinegar, I'm not exaggerating by saying this but a few weeks ago I went out to my storage area where I have my old 20 plus year old system that was never cleaned when I shut it down. I pulled two 40 watt pumps out of the sump, one ran the skimmer and the other was the return to the display and they were completely seized up. I filled up a pail with water and probably a heaping cup full of citric acid and tossed in a small circulating pump just to dissolve all the citric acid and then I just let the pump sit for 3 days in the solution and maybe once a day I went and gave them both a good shake and after rinsing them off I was able to pull everything apart and use a small brush just to get some of the crap that was left behind after the bath which basically was a breeze. I've tried doing vinegar over the years and honestly vinegar is a little overrated for what it does compared to citric acid.

My wife has one of these fancy coffee machines and they say to run vinegar through it which does absolutely nothing. She got on the conversation with the lady at two farm kids health store where we live and for some reason they got on the topic of coffee and one thing led to another and the lady said to take this home with you, it was a bag of citric acid. She put it in a 2 l container and dumped a bunch of the crystals into and mixed it up and ran it through her coffee machine and you wouldn't believe how well it cleans over the suggested vinegar soak and flush the machine calls for.

OP
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in an Rodi system if u can. Don’t be a slave to LFS water. Be ur own master. U can do it.
While I get what your saying, I like to support my LFS. I go to Fintastic Aquariums in Jensen Beach. They have always helped me out with anything I needed. It is worth buying at least water from them. He has a small store and is an awesome dude.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back