how do you care for your SH while gone?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am still thinking about a SH build as I have most of the goodies. but what stops me is feeding while gone I do enjoy traveling some times up to a few weeks on end. I dont want to be a slave to my tanks but on the other hand dont want to dismiss the idea altogether...

so how do you feed and take care of the SH while gone?
feeding 2x a day yes?

is it possible with have a SH tank with a normal life? haha ok maybe a little more more travel than normal...

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am still thinking about a SH build as I have most of the goodies. but what stops me is feeding while gone I do enjoy traveling some times up to a few weeks on end. I dont want to be a slave to my tanks but on the other hand dont want to dismiss the idea altogether...

so how do you feed and take care of the SH while gone?
feeding 2x a day yes?

is it possible with have a SH tank with a normal life? haha ok maybe a little more more travel than normal...
The best would be a tank sitter (usually a family member or a local reefer) that you have personally trained and trust

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank sitter is honestly pretty hit or miss in my experience haveing a balanced ecosystem, not overstocking, and automation are your best bets. Also if you pick out the right fish you can get away with only feeding once a day and fasting them over weekends just like freshwater fish.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank sitter is honestly pretty hit or miss in my experience haveing a balanced ecosystem, not overstocking, and automation are your best bets. Also if you pick out the right fish you can get away with only feeding once a day and fasting them over weekends just like freshwater fish.
Sorry didn't notice which forum. You can't do that for seahorses unfortunately but if you wanted to do other saltwater fish you could for them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry didn't notice which forum. You can't do that for seahorses unfortunately but if you wanted to do other saltwater fish you could for them.
Good call, I didn't see the seahorse pipefish forum either :S

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I have 2 tanks going right now a 90 gal and 20L setting up a 40br FW planted or a SH...I got 90% of the goodies for the SH build then backed out due to the 2X a day feeding. when gone I have a friend come once a day but 2x is a bit much as I to live in the country 15 min, from town.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I have 2 tanks going right now a 90 gal and 20L setting up a 40br FW planted or a SH...I got 90% of the goodies for the SH build then backed out due to the 2X a day feeding. when gone I have a friend come once a day but 2x is a bit much as I to live in the country 15 min, from town.

That was my biggest hang up too with seahorses. In fact even after having them more than 3 years, travelling is the hardest part to deal with. My sister is my fish sitter. She comes once a day and feeds the ponies their frozen mysis. When they finish, usually in 10 minutes she nets about 8-10 ghost shrimp that I have in a tank next to the seahorse tank and the ponies have to catch their 2nd meal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back