How do YOU define 'curing' rocks?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per title. A lot of aquarists talk about curing their rocks, whether live rock, dead rock, etc.

I've kinda heard all sorts of definitions on what each person considers 'curing' rocks to be, but that has been spread over many years, and perhaps what I thought was the curing process almost ten years ago is not the same thing now.

So I want to hear from you guys. How do you define the 'curing' process for rocks?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing is a term used to make said rock live. Past cycle stage when rock starts to develop.
E.g. grow beneficial bacteria and.micro organisms.

Curing rock is literally just running saltwater. Heat. And some flow.
D

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the process 10 years ago when we used mostly live rock meant we were giving the rock time for most of the die off to happen. With dry rock there can be decay depending on the source so it can be similar but yeah I don't know that there is really a solid definition on what curing is or how it should be done other than the basic process.
Ofc bacterial growth is also part of the process but that is also simply called cycling.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the process 10 years ago when we used mostly live rock meant we were giving the rock time for most of the die off to happen. With dry rock there can be decay depending on the source so it can be similar but yeah I don't know that there is really a solid definition on what curing is or how it should be done other than the basic process.
Ofc bacterial growth is also part of the process but that is also simply called cycling.
This, raw, uncured LIVE rock from the ocean would be cured in vats, on racks or in display tank until it is safe to use.

Cycling IMO is just running your DT with live or dry until all the bacteria are present and stable, but could be considered the back side of the "cure".

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per title. A lot of aquarists talk about curing their rocks, whether live rock, dead rock, etc.

I've kinda heard all sorts of definitions on what each person considers 'curing' rocks to be, but that has been spread over many years, and perhaps what I thought was the curing process almost ten years ago is not the same thing now.

So I want to hear from you guys. How do you define the 'curing' process for rocks?
Curing to me meant putting the rock in bleach to remove old organics from the rock. There's also acid curing. I have the acid, but I've always been hesitant to use that method. I pay good money for rock. I don't like destroying it for no good reason.

Cycling is a completely different process for me and not what I think of when referring to curing.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing is a term used to make said rock live. Past cycle stage when rock starts to develop.
E.g. grow beneficial bacteria and.micro organisms.

Curing rock is literally just running saltwater. Heat. And some flow.
D
I've always just called that maturing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back