How do you dial-in a DC skimmer?

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a new skimmer for a new 150 gal tank. I've always owned A/C skimmers and could dial them in pretty quickly by adjusting the back pressure and sump water level.

With DC skimmers, not only do you adjust by back pressure and sump water level, but you can also slow down the pump. I would imagine this would not only reduce the air going into the skimmer but it would also reduce the water level in the skimmer. Does this mean you would need to also increase the sump level or increase the back pressure? If so, how do you know where the optimal combination of sump level, back pressure and pump speed is? What do you look for?? Is an adjustable DC pump in a skimmer adding too much complexity? Or, can they really be much more effective at skimming and the additional complexity is worth it?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s pretty easy. Set your sump level (preferably to what the manufacturer of the skimmer recommends), set the dc pump level to lowest, adjust the outflow level. You’ll slowly adjust the the power level of the pump up as the skimmer breaks in, while changing the outflow level to even out the height of the water inside the skimmer. My Deltec took a couple days to settle in, then I made some micro adjustments until it leveled out. You can really dial in the skimmer to your tanks needs, which is great.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a DC and went back to AC because I ended up with the pump running wide open anyway so there is really no difference. That's what produced the best skimmate. Others probably understand them between that I do dont know but personally I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back