Please explain 3 components to DC skimmer ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand what each adjustable component of a DC skimmer does. My DC Tunze only has one adjustable component, the DC controller. I never had to adjust the air intake or the water level. I bought a new DC skimmer for the new tank and I’m trying to figure out how it works.

I know the air intake will make bubbles rise or fall. But was does the water level adjustment do (why do we need to adjust water level in the skimmer) ? And what are the up and down adjustments on the DC controller for ?

I’m trying to understand the relationship between the three of them so I understand what I’m doing when fine tuning the skimmer.

Thanks !

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run and have ran Tunze dc skimmers. A 9410dc and a 9430dc.
Set the water height. The 9410dc ran at 6" and the 9430dc ran at 4.5" for best performance on my systems.
Reducing the water height it runs at allows you to run the pump at a higher setting.

Water level will give a wetter skim the higner it gets.
Air increase foam height.
Up and down is for pump speed which raises or lowers the water level in the skimmer.

I have run Tunze dc skimmers for 8 years now. Its a set and forget skimmer. This is the main reason I run only Tunze now.

I will be running the 9430dc on my new 150. I have ran it on an 80g growout tank and a 120. The thing is a beast.
20220420_162913.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run and have ran Tunze dc skimmers. A 9410dc and a 9430dc.
Set the water height. The 9410dc ran at 6" and the 9430dc ran at 4.5" for nest performance on my systems.
Reducing the water height it runs at allows you to run the pump at a higher setting.
I’m very familiar with Tunze DC skimmers since I’ve been running an internal one for 2 years (which had no controls except for the DC controller).

I’m trying to understand what those 3 settings do exactly and how they influence one another. My new skimmer is a Simplicity DC 240 but that shouldn’t matter as my questions are of general nature.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very familiar with Tunze DC skimmers since I’ve been running an internal one for 2 years (which had no controls except for the DC controller).

I’m trying to understand what those 3 settings do exactly and how they influence one another. My new skimmer is a Simplicity DC 240 but that shouldn’t matter as my questions are of general nature.
Water level up/down adjust the water height in the skimmer.
Air will adjust the foam.
So you just have adjustment for both.
Tunze is just set water height in sump and adjust the pump/air speed.
This is why I prefer Tunze.
I have ran the others and they work fine. May take a little more adjustment but the result is the same.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Simplicity breaking in?
Once it is broken inure the skimmer on full, adjust the tube so I water goes up or down.
The little air knob I do not even bother but make sure it is open and not clogged like it was last month.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my skimmer every month, I take the whole thing apart and I thought I was cleaning everything until I got a flashlight and shined into the. Venturi and I noticed calicum build up I had to use an ice pick to chip away it, it was causing my skimmers poor performance.
I run my DC 240 in 7 inches of water, to break your skimmer poor a little but of skim mate in the bucket, this will help it break in.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my DC 240 in 7 inches of water, to break your skimmer poor a little but of skim mate in the bucket, this will help it break in.
What a good idea, I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks !

Is your skimmer a little wobbly ? I find mine is.

Also, one of the little brackets underneath keeps coming off. I was thinking about glueing it in place.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to understand what each adjustable component of a DC skimmer does. My DC Tunze only has one adjustable component, the DC controller. I never had to adjust the air intake or the water level. I bought a new DC skimmer for the new tank and I’m trying to figure out how it works.

I know the air intake will make bubbles rise or fall. But was does the water level adjustment do (why do we need to adjust water level in the skimmer) ? And what are the up and down adjustments on the DC controller for ?

I’m trying to understand the relationship between the three of them so I understand what I’m doing when fine tuning the skimmer.

Thanks !

There is a reasonably good video on protein skimmer tuning on BRSTV.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the skimmer is a little wobbly, they are light, they really need a heavier bottom plate, like made from PVC like the old Euro Reef Skimmers.
Can you post a picture of the part that is loose on your skimmer.
Simplicity | 240DC In-Sump Protein Skimmer$280.95BulkReefSupply.com(15)Free by 2/1
You don’t see them on the picture, as they are underneath the bottom plate. It’s those 4 little tabs (not the thumb screws on top of the plate).

Those are meant to dampen the sound. They might be why the skimmer is wobbly.

1704806074133.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four simplicity skimmers. Three 120, and one 240. I usually run the pump speed about halfway, the air all the way open, and adjust the water line to the bottom of the skimmer cup. The settings you need may vary depending on your tank. Here is a quick vid I made.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the water level adjustments are to compensate for underpowered pumps. In the days when pumps had more power, they could handle low or high sump water levels. Not all skimmers need these, which is why some don't have them.

Good skimmers will pull the right amount of air with the pump output - tunze does this.

I never understood having a DC pump on a skimmer. Just run them at the optimum level and don't change the flow amount. IMO, this was just a selling feature that does not add much in practice, but it does add an additional cost. Most of the best skimmers that I have ever seen do not have DC pump.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood having a DC pump on a skimmer. Just run them at the optimum level and don't change the flow amount. IMO, this was just a selling feature that does not add much in practice, but it does add an additional cost. Most of the best skimmers that I have ever seen do not have DC pump.
My Tunze doesn’t have one but still needed to be adjusted relative to water height in the skimmer. But manually. It took a while to find the sweet spot as well.

I like DC pumps because they are quieter.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four simplicity skimmers. Three 120, and one 240. I usually run the pump speed about halfway, the air all the way open, and adjust the water line to the bottom of the skimmer cup. The settings you need may vary depending on your tank. Here is a quick vid I made.

Thanks for that ! So far the best explanation I’ve seen for this skimmer. I’ll refer to it when needed. :)

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplicity has a good explanation of tuning on web site.

https://www.simplicityaquatics.com/blog/protein-skimmers-how-to-tune-a-protein-skimmer/

I have the same one and run it in about 7”. The 9” they recommend is kinda deep. Had it there for a while and it was a little dry. I would shoot for a water level around the black plastic where the body starts to neck down.
Simplicity has good explanations but different ones depending on where you look. So it makes it confusing.

I’ve noticed the black plastic being about 7 inches too, thanks for confirming. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back