How do you differentiate between Velvet and Brook?

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm the puffer seems to be doing slightly better somehow, breathing returned to normal but still sitting in the sand. The only thing that still puzzles me is how this has been happening for about a week now after having therapeutic copper for around 10 days... that’s what leads me to believe that it could be some weird form of brook but who knows. Is it safe to dose metro along with the copper or just wait to take further action? The only thing I can think of is raising the copper level as what it’s currently been at is certainly not working, trying not to get any more stressed over this, will give an update in the morning- thanks guys

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Current tank Parameters before water change:

Amm. - .5 (probably inaccurate because of Cupramine) ammonia alert badge says .05

Nitri. - 0-.25 (was an odd color)

Nitra. - 15

kH - 10

pH - 8.2-8.4

sal - 1.021

copper - .4+ (ionic)

Tank has been up for almost two months, was an upgrade from a previous tank, all live rock was moved over and bioload has pretty much stayed the same (lessened actually) it is a fish only so I have decided to treat the display, have been testing copper twice daily and have seem to get it stable
Salinity low but will help with velver
Should be 1.024

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also I lost the puffer but everyone else is looking normal with a few scattered spots, this is very weird
Bummer. Always a fish with Personalilty

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. Always a fish with Personalilty
Ah it happens, I forgot to provide an update but I did discover the true problem... A very frustrating one. I purchased a hanna copper checker and have discovered that the copper levels were WAYYYYY too high, shifting between .73-.85, my best guess is since the ID was hard that this was maybe just an effect of the cupramine rather than the velvet itself. atleast I hope. Very frustrating as the seachem test was reading .4 some days and .35 others, obviously i continued to dose hoping id hit .5 . I did a side by side test and hanna was .73 while seachem was .3

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ah it happens, I forgot to provide an update but I did discover the true problem... A very frustrating one. I purchased a hanna copper checker and have discovered that the copper levels were WAYYYYY too high, shifting between .73-.85, my best guess is since the ID was hard that this was maybe just an effect of the cupramine rather than the velvet itself. atleast I hope. Very frustrating as the seachem test was reading .4 some days and .35 others, obviously i continued to dose hoping id hit .5 . I did a side by side test and hanna was .73 while seachem was .3
Oh no - that will do it

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back