How do you folks deal with the heat and Live Fish/Coral/critter deliveries?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering how most folks deal with getting deliveries of fish and other critters in the heat here in the Phoenix metro area? Does Fed Ex or UPS keep everything in climate controlled areas? I've never taken delivery of anything like live fish before.. Got me wondering.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering how most folks deal with getting deliveries of fish and other critters in the heat here in the Phoenix metro area? Does Fed Ex or UPS keep everything in climate controlled areas? I've never taken delivery of anything like live fish before.. Got me wondering.
Most of the time companies will pack ice packs. I don't believe the cars are climate controlled. I don't live in arizona, but in the summer in chicago the ice packs are still sometimes not enough and the hottest it gets here most of the time is like 95 degrees lol. I would probably avoid ordering fish during the summer there like how we avoid ordering fish here in the winter.

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't order anything this time of year... Just LFS around the valley. We've got 8 or 9 months we can order stuff pretty safely, that I don't want to put the lives of livestock at risk of the heat we have here in the summer months.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the shipper is experienced, then the odds can be decent. Doing a "hold at facility" and picking it up from UPS or FedEx yourself also greatly helps.

But mostly, I try to avoid it June-Sept as well.

reefer999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trucks aren’t climate controlled, you can request for your package to be held at a location nearest to you for pickup. Ice packs help a little bit, but aren’t the best. You’d be better off waiting until the cooler months I’d say as well.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooler months and I will use the Fedex location on Tatum and 101. Nice thing about that location is the package goes straight to that location (10am pickup) and doesn't sit on a truck for one of the closer locations.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am usually putting in orders for inverts and corals. Have received 3 different packages from WWC this summer already. They ship in well insulated boxes with ice packs and they have delivery set for a 2 hour window. No issues so far. All these LFS have their stock shipped in weekly with little to no Issues. As long as you’re there to take delivery on time you’ll be fine.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back