How often do you add fish?

Smithrz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

What are your thoughts on how often you should, or can, add new livestock (fish mainly) to your tank? Is there a formula? is it entirely dependent on water parameters? Or based on needs such as pest or algae control (Let’s assume there’s plenty space for fish to be added, I get that you can’t jam pack an aquarium).

I’ve always intend to go slow like most people would advise, but I actually don’t know what slow is, it’s an ambiguous term. “Slow” could be 1 week to some people, or 3 months to others.

I guess adding corals is more parameter dependent, right? I don’t plan on adding corals for a few months, and when I do, they will be softies).

So with that in mind, I guess I’m just looking to hear how you all approach adding the livestock.

Thanks!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

What are your thoughts on how often you should, or can, add new livestock (fish mainly) to your tank? Is there a formula? is it entirely dependent on water parameters? Or based on needs such as pest or algae control (Let’s assume there’s plenty space for fish to be added, I get that you can’t jam pack an aquarium).

I’ve always intend to go slow like most people would advise, but I actually don’t know what slow is, it’s an ambiguous term. “Slow” could be 1 week to some people, or 3 months to others.

I guess adding corals is more parameter dependent, right? I don’t plan on adding corals for a few months, and when I do, they will be softies).

So with that in mind, I guess I’m just looking to hear how you all approach adding the livestock.

Thanks!
I add live stock that mostly serve a purpose. With a couple of exceptions.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started a tank, and am new at this. Take my process with a grain of salt.

What I have been doing is taking fish out of my quarantine setup and putting them into the DT. Then I clean up the QT and start a couple more fish. SInce the quarantine process takes me about 8 weeks, that gives the DT a couple of months to build up the capacity for more fish.

I figure this process will stop after a year or so once I get the tank stocked to where I want it.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started a tank, and am new at this. Take my process with a grain of salt.

What I have been doing is taking fish out of my quarantine setup and putting them into the DT. Then I clean up the QT and start a couple more fish. SInce the quarantine process takes me about 8 weeks, that gives the DT a couple of months to build up the capacity for more fish.

I figure this process will stop after a year or so once I get the tank stocked to where I want it.
Quick question are you going to qt all inverts and coral?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question are you going to qt all inverts and coral?
Good question. I don't know the answer yet.

I've purchased all my CUC members from Reef Cleaners since they don't have fish in their systems, and may follow a similar strategy with corals assuming there are such vendors. I haven't really looked yet. My tank is only a few months old, so I've got some time before I will start adding corals or other sensitive inverts to this system to figure this out.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to wait at least 3 weeks, 4 even better, in-between fish additions, to let the bacteria grow enough to sustain whatever I just added (not too many, a small % of the number of fish you have).

1 big fish = 2-3 small fish. What matters is the amount of waste produced by the fish. The bigger the waste, the more bacteria needed to transform it. Not enough bacteria = ammonia build-up.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I don't know the answer yet.

I've purchased all my CUC members from Reef Cleaners since they don't have fish in their systems, and may follow a similar strategy with corals assuming there are such vendors. I haven't really looked yet. My tank is only a few months old, so I've got some time before I will start adding corals or other sensitive inverts to this system to figure this out.
Not all thier stuff comes from the gulf. They do imports some. So thier is a chance of stuff coming in.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

Thanks!
fish should be added two weeks at a time. You add one, wait two weeks than add another.

cdbias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds just right to me.

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you isolate the new additions in the DT when added? Any issues with bullying?

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you isolate the new additions in the DT when added? Any issues with bullying?
The reason I ask is I have two frostbite frozen clownfish that have been in my DT for about one month and I am adding a firefish and an orange spotted goby tomorrow.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been, but it's been a small number of fish in a fairly large tank. They have also been compatible fish.

The tomini tang and pair of clowns went in first. A green spotted puffer went in next, but was hardly larger than a fry. The most recent addition has been a 4" foxface rabbitfish, and a yellow watchman goby.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back