How do you get rooted algae off LPS skeletons & gsp?

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Large Frogspawn skeleton especially, has a well rooted fuzzy algae that just won't come completely off. Wasny sure if it will hurt it to toothbrush 3% peroxide on it and try & scrubb algae off this and other lps skeletons. I also have it on my gsp..and am not sure what works best and what they tolerate. (I've abused the gsp pulling and ripping it off with some base attached & gsp is fine minutes later. But scrubbing & peroxide? I'm not aware of any other dips etc. That kill algae.
Tips , warnings, and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

mdrieder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME I've used peroxide on my GSP and other LPS corals with no notable ramifications, I cant tell you if its a good idea or safe in general. Typically speaking I've caused more issues with a tooth brush than with the peroxide. If its a full dip I get the entire peroxide solution up to tank temp. If its just on the stony Skelton of the LPS id probably just scrub it off or paint on the peroxide with a brush.

OP
OP
D

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good experiential info! Thanks. I hadn't thought of the paint brush & def will pay more attention to the temp.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock or plug the GSP is on then I would dip peroxide(3%) I was scared of dipping for 2 minutes like I heard so I dipped it for 30 seconds then I would dip the tooth brush in the peroxide and brush the GPS. I would brush all over the GSP and rock. (DO NOT JAB WITH THE Tooth Brush, sweeping motion.) ORRrr
Vibrant is working for me to loosen the algae then you can remove the rock or plug the GSP is on and brush it off in a separate container with some tank water.

OP
OP
D

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More good advice. Thanks. I'm cleaning the flat areas with a new scraper hose attachment for my transfer pump and the rocks using a barbed mini detail shop vac attachment made for 1/2" vinyl hose.. then get what's left by taking out every coral & rock I can and cleaning with peroxide.. whatever makes it makes it.. as long as the algae doesn't. Then adding some new sand and helpful bacteria to populate the newly clean surfaces & eat the junk in spots I missed. All this from a few weeks of laziness where I fed Too Little! I guess that is the only good thing about algae & coral working in our favor ... the corals can close up tightly to protect themselves, while the algae stays exposed. My gsp is a giant 4 x 10" floating self structured island attached at the tip of a branch where it started at 1" 3 yrs ago. Thanks again... I will use these techniques & advice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back