How do i get rid of this algae

keirb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

I have a huge problem with this algae (as you can see in the pictures) and i was wondering if anyone could help me with it.

The tank itself is fairly new but the rocks are from my old tank. I had the same issue in my old tank and when i put the stones in this one, i tried to scrub off all of the algae. To be honest i did a terrible job at scrubbing it off and it has not grown that much since i put the stones in my tank. Seeing as it’s not growing much and i run a skimmer and my bioload is fairly small (1yellow watchman goby, some zoas, small duncan frag and big leather coral)
Will i be able to solve the problem with maybe some turbo snails?
Also i’m 99% sure it’s turf algae but if anyone can ID otherwise please do!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone

I have a huge problem with this algae (as you can see in the pictures) and i was wondering if anyone could help me with it.

The tank itself is fairly new but the rocks are from my old tank. I had the same issue in my old tank and when i put the stones in this one, i tried to scrub off all of the algae. To be honest i did a terrible job at scrubbing it off and it has not grown that much since i put the stones in my tank. Seeing as it’s not growing much and i run a skimmer and my bioload is fairly small (1yellow watchman goby, some zoas, small duncan frag and big leather coral)

Its green hair algae. Lights appear to be bright which will support this algae.
Seeing no coral on this rock, I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea looks like gha . What sort of cuc have you got. ? How long do you keep lights on for ??

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

Definitely GHA! Get some Pitho crabs, they love the stuff.

OP
OP
K

keirb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its green hair algae. Lights appear to be bright which will support this algae.
Seeing no coral on this rock, I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
I use rodi water to top up and i go to my LFS for saltwater for waterchanges (weekly)

Phosphate is 0.06ppm

It’s not really near a window but i will reduce the white light. My light doesn’t have an automated ramp up/down. It’s just on or off. So i basically full blast it for 11 hours. My corals look very much happy but the algae is just an eyesore

Also it’s a 16 gallon aquarium!

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

green hair algae, add an emerald crab but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't pick at coral.

itstodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current emerald crab completely eliminated gha from my tank but be aware, they like what they like. My previous one liked mushroom corals. It had an appetite for small fish too. My current one is a saint. He likes trash and stuff that dies. He also loves bubble algae. In fairness, he is big and I do not let him get too hungry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back