How do you guys keep nitrate stable

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in having trouble keeping my nitrate stable, it always seems to high or to low or where I want it for a week. Phosphate is easy to keep stable where I want it using fauna marin .04 gfo. I have a refugium which is good at bringing my nitrate down but then it gets too low to and I put a tiny bit of nyos nitrate + and then the next week it's too high for my liking compared to my Phosphate. So how do you keep yours stable? Mine seems constantly up and down or like I say at a good number for like a week and then either way.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?

What do you consider high and low?
It's like 2.5 - 3 years old now I think.
Well I want to try and keep my nitrate as close to as possible 100x my phosphate so nitrate at 5 is where I'm aiming. Yesterday nitrate was at 20 which is too high I feel and its got as low as 0 which is too low and why I started dosing a little bit of nitrate+ but it seems to swing between those 2 numbers. But nitrate has gone as high as 40 if i do nothing and has caused me to get cyano from the imbalance I think.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What product do you add to your system?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in having trouble keeping my nitrate stable, it always seems to high or to low or where I want it for a week. Phosphate is easy to keep stable where I want it using fauna marin .04 gfo. I have a refugium which is good at bringing my nitrate down but then it gets too low to and I put a tiny bit of nyos nitrate + and then the next week it's too high for my liking compared to my Phosphate. So how do you keep yours stable? Mine seems constantly up and down or like I say at a good number for like a week and then either way.
Since your refugium is so effective at reducing nitrate, you should try reducing the amount of algae.

The large nitrate swing seems to indicate something you are doing rather than the aquarium is unstable. Food addition, and ammonia and nitrate additions are the most likely causes for high nitrates. Get that under control might be a first step.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your refugium is so effective at reducing nitrate, you should try reducing the amount of algae.

The large nitrate swing seems to indicate something you are doing rather than the aquarium is unstable. Food addition, and ammonia and nitrate additions are the most likely causes for high nitrates. Get that under control might be a first step.
Yeah I think you might be right, maybe I'm panicking too much when I see it get too close to 0 and add the nitrate+. I should at that point just remove some algae and reduce refugium lighting schedule.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think you might be right, maybe I'm panicking too much when I see it get too close to 0 and add the nitrate+. I should at that point just remove some algae and reduce refugium lighting schedule.
Scaring yourself in this hobby is easy. It’s part of the emotional rollercoaster you ride when you set a saltwater aquarium :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back