How do you guys take failures

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been in the hobby that long and have been through so many failures. I have lost fish due to poor QT, I lost my prized regal angel to unknown causes, I lost most of my zoas to a fire worm infestation, I broke my rock apart to get rid of the fire worms. And just recently I had dinos blow up in my tank, a bacterial infection take out my euphyllia, and a tank crash that killed almost all my acros. All I have to say is don't quit, keep trying, I have learned so many things from these failures. I am still trying to dig my way out of a tank crash while I stilly have dinos. It's a pain, but if you love the hobby then stick with it. The good achievements in this hobby always seem to outweigh your failures.

Rpaulin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently in the middle of a complete tear down/rebuild after just starting my first tank in April 2023. I lost all of my fish to Marine Ich in September even with quarantining everything. Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose. I cried and cursed and was so close to quitting but decided to use this as an opportunity to take what I’ve learned and re-scape with new rock, make changes to my filtration, add the black background, etc. Now I think my tank is better than before and I am so excited to start stocking. Just 8 months ago when I started this journey I knew nothing about marine/reef tanks, it blows my mind when I think how much I’ve learned in less than a year. There’s no way I was going to give up, I’m hooked!

Last edited:

rnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that, but I agree with the other guy, I approach this hobby with the mindset that one day it may all go away, and that's ok. Enjoy it while it lasts. Thats why I can never bring myself to justify spending too much on coral/inverts. Shop local, buy from other hobbyists :) You'll find way better deals, healthier coral, and won't be as sad if you someday end up losing them.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda depends on the circumstances. Sometimes I want to lock myself in my room for a week (like the winter storms we had in 2021 & this last winter), sometimes I utter a few choice words and get to work minimizing collateral damage and getting ready for the swings a system is going to see in the comming months

OP
OP
Udest

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well an update on the situation is due now I guess most the corals that have survived seem just utterly ticked off but alive . Even some that melted pretty bad still left some fragments behind so I will wait and see what I can do there. Went ahead and got some supplies while I was at it and now working on the water chemistry.

OP
OP
Udest

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update !! Kept on going a couple months latter I'm back on track , though a little dirty atm.

major changes are few but I did replace the heater that caused the incident and found a light that works okay , funny I think it's working pretty well it's a 5000k clear led and has some nice shimmer to it.

Corals that weren't opening are now opening up quite a bit waiting to add some more softies.

Only non coral live stock in the tank is the firefish a pincushion urchin and the codylactis nem.

Attachments

• 20240304_023802.jpg
    20240304_023802.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 11

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back