How do you have 5 year success with a group of anthias?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
I love anthias! But, I’ve failed twice trying to keep a group of Lyretails, due to intra-species aggression and poor feeding.
I also, have rarely seen any other hobbiest tank with more than a single anthia, that lived longer than a couple of years.

With the new Avast feeder coming out, I’m thinking of trying again.

If you’ve been successful keeping a group of anthias for several years, tell us your secrets!
Which species and how you did it.

Thank you,
Sean

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ive had a male lyretail anthias for 4 years past, and 2 females for almost 3 years along with him. I did have a pair of red saddle anthias for almost 2 years, but the male died i assume of old age as he was quite big and fat and nothing was visibly ever wrong with him, and the female lived to be just over 2 years in my care.
I did have a trio of bartletts numerous years ago, for maybe 2 yearsish. But they all died after a flame angel terrorised them, as the tank was rather unsuitable for an angel so he just acted out of agression on everything.

I think the key to success is frequent feedings until they have put on a lot of body weight. I also believe buying an already transitioned male will reduce the amount of squabbling that normally ends up in them dying off, but i cant say for certain. Just my experience

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
I added 5 females Lyretailed in Oct 2017, followed by 12 Ignitus in Jan 2018 and 8 Evansii in Feb 2018. I have added more groups of Ignitus the last group went in in Aug 2019. I added 16 bimacs in 2 groups in Nov/Dec 2018 (OK I know I'm a nerd keeping records;))

I have lost one of the lyretails, the male, in march 2020. Evensii I have 4 left- strangely I lost 4 early on but the ones that remain seem bullet proof. All my Bimacs have survived and grown, I seem to have 4 males. The Ignitus are more difficult because I added them over time but I think out of the 40 (ish) i think I have around 30 left.
You count them:D

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think I had five of these, I forgot their name but they are in this video. I don't think I had them for more than three or four years and I don't think I ever kept one longer than that.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had lyretails past the 5 year mark. IME it takes lots of frequent feedings, and starting with small females allowing them to establish their own hierarchy, without killing each other.

I don't think many aquarists really understand what "frequent feedings" means. I would get home at around 3:30 PM and feed the fish, every 30-60 minutes until 11pm at night. I also had other species of anthias that required this more than lyretails.

OP
C

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
I added 5 females Lyretailed in Oct 2017, followed by 12 Ignitus in Jan 2018 and 8 Evansii in Feb 2018. I have added more groups of Ignitus the last group went in in Aug 2019. I added 16 bimacs in 2 groups in Nov/Dec 2018 (OK I know I'm a nerd keeping records;))

I have lost one of the lyretails, the male, in march 2020. Evensii I have 4 left- strangely I lost 4 early on but the ones that remain seem bullet proof. All my Bimacs have survived and grown, I seem to have 4 males. The Ignitus are more difficult because I added them over time but I think out of the 40 (ish) i think I have around 30 left.

What are you feeding them, and how often?

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

We need more feeding videos lol. Amazing tank

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
What are you feeding them, and how often?
'Regular' daily feeding regime is about 10:00AM a chunk of frozen Calanus, three feeds of first Bite micro pellets via my auto feeder during the afternoon. At about 8PM a heavy feed of a mixture of frozen brine, mysis, small krill, lobster/fish eggs (that feed is on the video).

I supplement this with live brine shrimp if my LFS has some in, usually once or if the fish are lucky twice per week. In the summer I have a wildlife pond in the garden and it supplies live daphnia, midge larva and other small inverts maybe two/three times per week.

Because of this heavy feeding and anthias only taking food from the water column I have a big population of CUC, shrimp, hermits and snails to clean up. I also have an overrated skimmer which works hard! The tank is 2000ltrs and the turnover is around 80,000ltrs/hr- SPS tank territory but it keeps the food in suspension longer.

ca1ore

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It depends a lot on the particular species ….. size of tank and feeding. I have kept a group of bimacs on a few occasions past 5 years. Lyretail group once past 5 years. Never was able to do so with any of the others.

Coral in your reef tank?

• Pack in as many as I can get

Votes: 58 13.7%
  • A lot but leave room for growth

Votes: 285 67.2%
  • Less is more

Votes: 60 14.2%
  • Very very few

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Fish only...blah!

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Other (please explain)